Clear bag policy to be implemented at Bryant-Denny Stadium

Peter Pajor

Starting this season, a clear bag policy will be implemented at Bryant-Denny Stadium. Fans wishing to bring a bag will only be allowed to bring a clear, plastic, vinyl or PVC bag not exceeding 12” x 6” x 12” in size. This clear bag may be accompanied by a small “clutch” purse no larger than 4 ½” x 6 ½.”

Other objects such as binoculars, cameras, smart phones, blankets and approved seat cushions will be allowed in as well, though their cases will not be.

The policy was put in place to enhance public safety. Clear bags are easily and quickly searched, which should greatly reduce ineffective bag searches.

It is also expected that the change will simplify the process of entering the stadium by minimizing time spent at gate security checkpoints.

Exceptions to the clear bag policy will be made for medical bags, though they will still need to be properly inspected. Any guests requiring a medical bag that are not seated in North or South Zone, North or South Field Suite or the student section, must enter through Gate 8 or 44.

If a fan has a medical bag and is seated in the North Zone or North Field Suite, they must enter at Gate 3. South Zone and South Field Suite fans must enter through Gate 27.

There is no exception for diaper bags, though diapers and related products will be permitted in approved clear bags.

Accredited news media and other working personnel will have their bags inspected in the same manner as before, and such personnel should enter through their designated gates.

Fans without a clear bag can purchase one at local retailers or can receive a complimentary one on game days. Complimentary bags will be available at parking lots around campus, at the pickup locations for the various game day shuttles and at guest location services in Bryant-Denny. Those services are located at Gates 5, 21, 31 and 45 – outside of each corner spiral.

Fans do not have to use a bag to bring items into the game. They may carry many of their items in their hands, pockets and jackets if they prefer.

The University is not the only school in the Southeastern Conference (SEC) to implement a clear bag rule in 2016. Auburn University, the University of Florida, the University of Tennessee, the University of South Carolina, Mississippi State University, Texas A&M University and Louisiana State University are also implementing similar policies.

It is expected that the SEC will mandate a conference-wide clear bag policy for the 2017 season.