Honor Tree helps provide solace

Because October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, the Women’s Resource Center has provided the opportunity to remember or honor someone who has been affected by breast cancer.

“The trees are in remembrance of someone who has been affected by breast cancer, whether it be self, family or friend,” said Cyndi Hamner, the center’s coordinator for the month’s activities. “People can write messages on the ornaments in honor of or for someone who’s passed.”

Ornaments can be placed on trees in a number of different locations. The Ferguson Student Center, Student Recreation Center, Student Health Center, Capstone Village and Women’s Resource Center all have Honor Trees in place for people to hang their pink ribbon ornaments. There was also a tree placed at the employee health fair.

Dakota Nichols, a Rec Center employee and graduate student, has witnessed the effect the tree has had on breast cancer awareness month.

“When it first came in, I saw a lot of people putting names on [the tree],” Nichols said. “It’s good to be there so people can recognize breast cancer awareness.”

Nichols also spoke about the Big Pink Volleyball Tournament, which was held in conjunction with the Rec Center by the Women’s Resource Center, and the similar effects both the Honor tree and tournament had on the public.

“We had the Big Pink Volleyball Tournament, and we had a bunch of teams in it,” Nichols said. “Even people who weren’t in it saw the big pink volleyball and were asking about it. It’s the same way with the [honor] tree. People ask why the tree’s there. Even if they don’t put anything on it, they’ll ask why or what it is, and they know they’ll learn about breast cancer awareness.”

Hamner explained that there are no funds needed for someone to hang an ornament on one of the trees.

“There’s no cost and no donation needed,” Hamner said. “We hope the Honor Trees have a more therapeutic effect.”

Veyonka Owens, a sophomore majoring in criminal justice, knew a breast cancer victim. She appreciates the opportunity to have something like the Remembrance and Honor Tree.

“I think it’s a very good thing for them to honor people who’ve succumbed to breast cancer,” Owens said. “The ornaments serve as a personal memento. I think it’s a good opportunity for college students to remember their loved ones who they’ve lost to breast cancer.”

Hamner talked about the many people who have been affected by breast cancer, and it is apparent by the number of people who have placed an ornament on one of the trees.

According to breastcancer.org, breast cancer is the second leading cause of death in women. There is one out of eight or 12 percent chance that a woman may develop invasive breast cancer at some point in her life. The Women’s Resource Center will have the Remembrance and Honor Trees available for the entire month of October.

“We hope it will help people to bring closure or get out that breast cancer is a wide range problem,” Hamner said. “We want to bring awareness to many people.”