Some students disagree with laundry costs

Every UA student must pay the price for their dirty laundry.

Laundry costs can add another burden on top of rising tuition rates and other expenses. Bridgette Davis, a freshman majoring in history education, said she spends anywhere from $30 to $40 per month on laundry.

“I found myself washing a little less than I did before just because I realized how expensive it can get,” she said.

Enterprise Operations at the University acts as a liaison between outside vendors and the University. Formerly known as Auxiliary Services, they work with businesses to provide services on campus such as student laundry.

Carol Boshell, the contract administrator for Enterprise Operations, said, on average, each student spends around $68 on laundry per semester.

Boshell said she thinks student laundry costs rose in 2010 from $1.00 to $1.25 per washer and dryer load.

Enterprise Operations is currently deciding which company will handle student laundry services next semester, and Boshell said even if the current company, CSS Service Works, does not retain its control of laundry services, she does not foresee a significant change in costs.

Blake Edgar, a sophomore majoring in psychology, previously lived in Ridgecrest South before moving to an apartment off campus last year. Edgar said he spent anywhere from $5 to $10 per week on laundry, and doing his laundry is “absolutely” less expensive now that he’s not living on campus.

“So it cost $1.25 a use, and if you’re doing two loads, you know, then you have to dry them, especially if you’re doing two loads a week that adds up really quick,” he said.

Davis said the price feels a little ridiculous.

“It just seems like it’s not really worth the money,” she said. “I’d rather, you know, hang on to my dirty clothes until I go home for a weekend so I can wash there instead of, like, always having my clothes cleaned and having to pay for them over and over again.”