Run UA takes home top times for Rock 'n' Roll Half-Marathon

Beginning August 2015, members of Run UA started training for the Rock ‘n’ Roll Half-Marathon. After extensive preparation and hundreds of miles logged, 22 members of the group traveled to New Orleans, Louisiana for the big race. 

The Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series sponsors marathons, half-marathons, and 10-kilometer races across the country and are well known for having live-bands playing throughout various stages of each race.

The racers packed up and took five cars to New Orleans arriving the night before the half-marathon, Feb. 27.

The group awoke at roughly 5 a.m. in order to eat before the 7:30 start time. Parker Steed, a sophomore double majoring in economics and finance who is also one of three co-presidents of Run UA said the race was divided into 20 waves.

“You didn’t all start together,” he said. “Me and Nathaniel were in wave one, and so we got to go right at 7:30.” 

After the two ran together for roughly three miles, Parker noted that he “just felt good” and gradually sped up. After finishing the 13.1-mile race, Parker realized he had placed 9th out of 11,553 participants and was excited not only for himself, but also for his group as a whole. 

“Honestly, I think our group performed really well,” Steed said. “We had, I think, three people that broke 1:30 … Everyone was really happy with their times that I can remember. Everyone had a blast.”

Nathaniel Sibley, a freshman double majoring in mathematics and finance, said running in New Orleans was “so special.” He said the city has a “really cool atmosphere, and a really flat and fast course.” 

Sibley placed 21st overall, and third in the 18-24-year-old age group with a time of one hour, 18 minutes and 34 seconds. In other words, Sibley ran approximately five-minutes-and-59-seconds miles.

Kathryn Peterson, a freshman majoring in mechanical engineering, said she enjoyed the race. 

“We got to see the French Quarter, and there were bands set up every so often, and people were cheering everywhere,” she said. “It was just an awesome race because everyone was so excited around you.”

Peterson’s time for the race was one hour, 35 minutes and 21 seconds, earning her a top-300 spot amongst the more than 11,000 participants.

Following the race’s conclusion, the participants from Run UA drove back to Tuscaloosa, and continue to participate in three group runs per week on Sundays, Wednesdays and Thursdays.