Homecoming campaigns begin

Homecoming queen candidates met Monday evening in the Ferguson Center to discuss campaigning guidelines and regulations.

CadeAnn Smith, the homecoming director over halftime and reception and a senior majoring in criminal justice and political science, said the candidates must follow the guidelines set forth in the Homecoming Red Book.

She said a link for the Red Book can be found at homecoming.ua.edu.

Kelli Knox-Hall, convener of the elections board, said the campaign guidelines follow the same rules as the ones set forth during the spring election of Student Government Association executives.

Knox-Hall said no University emblems or logos, including depictions of Big Al, can be used for campaign materials.

“Just keep it simple,” Knox-Hall said.

Knox-Hall said candidates cannot chalk within 25 feet of the entrance to buildings, and no one can campaign inside of a building.

“All campaigning has to be done outside,” she said. “You’re not allowed to solicit votes inside of a building.”

She said the candidates have to submit a financial disclosure form that tracks all campaign spending and contributions. The campaign-spending limit for each candidate is $250, and receipts for any expenditure must be attached to the bottom of the form, Knox-Hall said.

Knox-Hall said the candidates must meet some minimum requirements before campaigning for homecoming queen.

Candidates, for instance, must be enrolled full-time as students at the University, have a minimum of a 2.5 GPA, have 64 credit hours earned at the University and have a sponsorship from a recognized student organization.

She said candidates will be held responsible for any violations of campaign rules, such as having members chalk in the Ferguson Plaza or campaigning on their behalf inside of any building.

Knox-Hall said the candidates have to submit any campaign materials, such as stickers, that will be passed out to students so that the Elections Board can keep those materials on file.

Smith said the top five candidates after the election will be invited to a party at the President’s Mansion that precedes the homecoming football game against Ole Miss.

The parents of the top five candidates will have free seats at the game, Smith said.

She said the top five candidates will meet Oct. 14, on Butler Field to rehearse for the crowning of the homecoming queen at halftime, and each one must bring what they plan to wear Saturday to ensure that the clothing is conservative.

The queen is crowned at halftime of the homecoming football game.

Sydney Page, a freshman majoring in history and political science, said she believes the homecoming queen election is done for the sake of tradition.

“I don’t think there’s a set purpose,” Page said. “It’s just done to continue a tradition.”