Fall intramural sports in full swing

The intramural flag football season is underway at The University of Alabama, and even though the season just started, things are already looking good.

With more than 250 teams competing this semester, intramural sports coordinator Shelby Sims said the staff is happy with the season up to this point. He also said the only hiccup they have come across is athletes who are unaware of the flag belt policy and how to properly tie their belts.

“It’s going well. We’re pretty happy with the numbers as far as participation goes,” Sims said.

Sims said this year they made adjustments to the playing schedule to accommodate participants’ needs.

“We organized the times a little differently to accommodate class times and we’re getting out in the early evening,” he said. “We started a little early on Sundays because I think a lot of the teams value the Sunday times over during the week.”

Many teams like the Wiley Wombats, who have been a dominant team in the intramural flag football league for many years, are excited for what this new season could bring for their team. The Wombats lost in the last year’s championship game and finished with a record of 9-1.

Brian Elmore, a fifth-year senior majoring in secondary education and history, plays safety and wide receiver for the Wombats and is hoping his team can win it all this year.

Even though this is Elmore’s first year on the Wombats, he has played for four years and was previously a member of Victorious Secret, a team that has made it to the playoffs two years in a row.

“My hopes this year is to finally win the elusive championship,” Elmore said. “I think that the Wombats this year have great chemistry and should be able to do well this season.”

The intramural flag football season will continue until Oct. 20.