City includes UA in amphitheater plans

Tuscaloosa officials have begun working with the University in order to incorporate school events into general planning for the city’s amphitheater. The venue is set to open in the spring and students can expect to see UA events at the amphitheater shortly thereafter.

Student Government Association President James Fowler said he is excited by the prospect of teaming with amphitheater officials.

“I believe it will be an extremely positive, mutually beneficial relationship,” Fowler said. “[The city] would be smart to do all they can to incorporate the University in their plans, and we would be wise to consistently utilize the amphitheater because it will be a great resource.”  

Mayor Walt Maddox said he believes it is crucial to the success of the amphitheater to engage the University.

“I think it is very important for us to involve and integrate the University of Alabama into the amphitheater,” Maddox said. “We are already working with University Programs and portions of the athletic department to discover and create ways to involve the University of Alabama into this project.

“The University of Alabama has a $1.2 billion economic impact on Tuscaloosa’s local economy. It’s in our best interest that we find ways to incorporate University students into the amphitheater. “

Gary Weinberger, president of Red Mountain Entertainment, the company promoting and booking the amphitheater, said there has been an on-going dialogue with the University and the current plan is to work with each other.

“We have had several conversations with University Programs, and our intention is to collaborate with them as often as possible,” Weinberger said.

Many musical acts will be geared toward the interests of the UA student community.

“Acts tour cyclically, and when they are available and we believe that they make sense to play in Tuscaloosa, then we are going to make them an offer, and we will be working in collaboration with University Programs in trying to identify those bands that will draw well and that University students would enjoy attending,” Weinberger said.

However, Weinberger refrained from speculating about who those acts might be.

“I am not really good with hypothetical (situations),” he said. “We are a 7,000-capacity venue and our intention is to go after acts that can play up to a 7,000-capacity place,” Weinberger said. “We will see who is available and those will be the acts that we book, but I am not good at coming up with a wish list … it’s really about who’s around.”

Red Mountain Entertainment was initially intended to manage and operate the amphitheater, but now those responsibilities are legally bound to the city.

Despite the change in plans, Weinberger said he believes there is no gray area between Red Mountain and Tuscaloosa in terms their roles.

“We have a great relationship with the city, and we have an agreement with the city that spells out the responsibilities of our company and the responsibilities of the city.”

Maddox said he believes the Tuscaloosa economy is rebounding and the amphitheater poses no major risk.

“I believe it’s a little risk to the overall economy,” Maddox said. “In fact, I envision it probably being a considerable boost to the economy.

“I don’t know how a $16 million construction project, along with a venue that will likely have seven to 10 major acts a year plus dozens of other events, could be a problem to the economy.”

Maddox also said the amphitheater will not occupy a major portion of the city’s operating budget.

“In terms of the city budget, the amphitheatre is being funded by 2 percent of the city lodging tax which is solely dedicated to the construction, maintenance and guest service of the facility itself,” he said. “That will provide the revenues for about 80 percent of its cost.

“The remaining 20 percent is mostly made up of operational costs, show-by-show costs,” he said. “We believe will be covered by ticket sales, sponsorships [and] box sales. We sold out every box for the amphitheatre. This year’s budget, it will cost less to operate the amphitheatre then any other park in the city of Tuscaloosa”