Citizens, students protest mine

unknown

The exhausting heat did not stall students and concerned citizens from protesting a strip mine to be potentially located near the Black Warrior River in Birmingham.

The University owns most of the property Shepherd Bend LLC desires to lease for its strip mine. If built, the mine will be located 800 feet upriver of Birmingham Water Works, the supplier of drinking water to the surrounding areas.

John Wathen, chairman of the Citizen Coal Council and a participant of the rally, said the University’s property could be put to more environmentally friendly uses.

“We believe in a more responsible way for power [to be harnessed] in this city,” Wathen said.

Wathen said the University could ruin its reputation for being “green” by leasing the property to Shepherd Bend for the coal mine.

He said the University should instead invest its attention in wind and solar energy if the land is to be put to use as a source for energy production. He said an “overlapping grid” of solar panels and wind turbines would be a preferable alternative to coal mining.

“For anyone that tells you about clean coal, clean coal is a lie,” Wathen said.

Gabriella Merriman, a UA Italian language professor, said the University should decline the proposal for the strip mine.

“I think it really should be stopped,” Merriman said. “I think the University should not be able to do this.… You don’t just have recycling bins and say you’re a green University.”

Brett Hannan, a junior majoring in food and nutrition, said the University has not yet been approached by Shepherd Bend with its proposal since the company must acquire a permit first to buy the land. As such, the University has not expressed any plans to deny or accept the leasing of its property.

She said, however, that the protest was held to preempt any advocacy of leasing the land.

“We’re trying to get ahead of the game,” Hannan said.

Camille Perrett, vice president of the University Chapter Environmental Council and a junior majoring in environmental science, said Birmingham Water Works has submitted a request to the Alabama Surface Mining Commission to deny Shepherd Bend its permit.

Perrett said the mine would pollute the water with toxins such as manganese and iron that cannot be removed.

She said about 200,000 people would be affected by these toxins that are known to deteriorate the nervous system and increase risks of cancer when consumed in high quantities.

The protest was held across the street from Moody Music Hall on a patch of grass next to University Boulevard. The area was chosen because the University has specific zones designated as “free speech zones,” said Jim Hall, director of New College.

“I’m supportive of clean drinking water and any efforts to maintain the quality of the Black Warrior River,” Hall said.

Mallory Flowers, a sophomore majoring in chemical engineering and one of the principal organizers of the rally, said the protestors intend to raise awareness of the issue and get people involved.

“Students do not support this mine now or ever,” Flowers said.