HERO, students team up to help citizens of Hale County

Imagine waking up each day in a home that is literally falling apart with no running water and an empty pantry. For many people, this scene is one from a movie or possibly a mission trip, but for some residents of Hale County, located 32 miles from Tuscaloosa, it is reality.

In an attempt to raise awareness and gain valuable hands-on experience, UA professors Javonda Williams and Cassandra Simon created a partnership between their SW 440 Social Work Practice with Individuals and Families classes and the Hale Empowerment and Revitalization Organization for a semester-long community engagement project.

HERO, which was chartered in 1994, works to create economic development to end rural poverty by empowering families to recognize the opportunities that exist in their communities. The organization works in the communities of Hale, Perry, Merango, Sumter and Greene counties.

“We love to partner with the University; it’s always such a great opportunity,” Pam Dorr, executive director of HERO, said. “The students provide our volunteers with knowledge about the social implications affecting our communities, which in turn helps our volunteers to better serve.”

A social work doctoral student, Vicky Carter, approached Simon and Williams about teaming with the HERO organization prior to the school year, Williams said. Carter, who is originally from Greensboro where the headquarters of HERO are located, worked with the organization over the summer and said she felt partnership would be a great opportunity for her hometown as well as for the University.

“I have always been interested in social work practice in rural communities, and I’m always looking for opportunities to give back to my own hometown community,” Carter said. “After reading an article about HERO and getting plugged in as a volunteer, I began discussing service learning and research options for students with the directors of the program. After a few meetings, we had everything in place.”

Over the course of the semester, 10 groups of students will work on various projects with HERO. The projects include Bike Lab, Youth Build, the Water Meter Project and the HERO Food Bank. Each project has its own challenge the students must overcome in order to raise awareness and provide a service to the community.

Lisa Nellessen, a junior majoring in social work, is a member of a group working with the HERO Food Bank. The food bank, which serves five counties, is currently empty, Nellessen said.

“We’ve only had the project assignment for a week, so right now we are working on getting in touch with members of the community to get the word out,” she said. “We plan on talking to local churches about being drop-off sites and seeing if we can get any local grocery stores to donate.

“Not only do we want to be able to fill this food bank for Hale County, we also want to be able to raise awareness of this issue on campus and in the Tuscaloosa community. People need to get a reality check and realize what is happening just down the street.”

Williams echoed Nellessen’s sentiments.

“This will allow our students to gain first-hand experience in all aspects of social work by working with individuals, groups and communities,” she said. “But, more importantly, what we want them to gain and learn from [HERO] is having our students raise awareness about what is going on about 40 miles down the road. The conditions are utterly amazing; it’s almost like a different world.”