​UA students to participate in Higher Education Day

College students from across the state of Alabama will travel to Montgomery on Thursday to participate in the Higher Education Day rally with the Higher Education Partnership of Alabama. Alumni, faculty, staff and friends of public universities will join to raise awareness of the importance of higher education in the state and its need for state funding.

The UA Student Government Association will provide free breakfast and transportation for UA students who wish to attend the event on behalf of the University. All students will receive a University-approved excuse to miss all of their Thursday classes.

The rally will begin at 11 a.m. and take place on the front steps of the Alabama State House. Students who attend will participate in the advocacy rally and then join together for a barbecue on the South Lawn of the State Capitol.

Higher Education Day is the largest advocacy rally in Montgomery and boasts the highest number of college-age attendees of any rally. The Higher Education Partnership of Alabama is an advocacy group for public universities in Alabama that strives to promote the importance of higher education for the state in improving the lives of Alabamians. More information on Higher Education Day can be found online at higheredpartners.org. Interested students can sign up online at sga.ua.edu.

Compiled by Rachel Brown