Pi Beta Phi holds memorial in Kelley's honor

Sabrina Kelley, a freshman majoring in telecommunication and film in the College of Communication and a member of the Pi Beta Phi sorority, died Friday, April 3, from 
complications of cystic fibrosis.

Sabrina returned to her hometown of Boston shortly before Thanksgiving last semester due to a virus and respiratory complications. On January 1, Kelley underwent double lung and liver transplants and suffered a stroke shortly after the procedure. While her body did not reject the organs, Sabrina had continuing complications in the months following the procedure. A serious Septic shock episode on March 6 put her back into critical condition. Multiple infections and fluid retention became issues for Sabrina’s recovery.

On the morning of April 3, Sabrina suffered a “catastrophic stroke” and passed away at 7 p.m. On the day of Sabrina’s death, her family shared that they were heartbroken. “She was the soul of our family and now she is gone,” her mother wrote. “We were able to hold her in our arms as she passed away and ours were the last voices she heard. We know she never would have gone if she had any strength left to stay.”

According to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, cystic fibrosis is a genetic disease that primarily affects the lungs and digestive system. A defective gene in people with CF produces thick mucus that can clog the lungs and obstruct the pancreas. Both of these can lead to threatening complications and leaves the patient much more prone to other infections.

Alexandria Twigg, a freshman majoring in accounting and a member of Kappa Alpha Theta, said she understands what it is like to live with 
cystic fibrosis.

“Back in October, I was hospitalized,” she said. “If I didn’t have my sisters there for me, I don’t know if I would have gotten through it. Greek Life has been a godsend to me.”

Although she did not know Sabrina personally, Alexandria said she sympathizes with the daily struggles of the disease and how little the public knows about cystic fibrosis.

“Even though we are sick, we still have the ability to live and love life,” she said. “It doesn’t stop me from following 
my dreams.”

Pi Beta Phi held a ceremony in Sabrina’s honor April 9 at Calvary Baptist Church. Sisters shared fond memories of her, Pastor Bubba Massey offered comfort and encouragement and a sister performed an original song, written with words shared by other sisters, about Sabrina’s time in Pi Beta Phi.

“I can’t help but be in awe to know our beautiful sister was called to be with our Lord on Good Friday,” said Sidney Stratton, the president of Alabama’s Pi Beta Phi sorority. “He only brings His best angels home so soon. I can only hope to honor your memory by living each day as passionately and courageously as you did.”

The ceremony concluded with the release of purple balloons, the color used for cystic fibrosis awareness, with personal stories, memories and messages to Sabrina written on them.

A letter from Brian Kelley, Sabrina’s father, thanked the women of Pi Beta Phi for including Sabrina and 
giving her some of her 
best friends.

“She never let her health get in the way of giving her everything, but what she really left behind to comfort us was her endless love,” he wrote of her 
college experience.

Pam Kelley, Sabrina’s mother, said she was overwhelmed by the support of the Alabama campus and Pi Beta Phi 
chapters all over the country.

“We can never thank her roommates, her sorority sisters or the faculty and staff that have reached out and shared their memories,” she said. “But we are comforted by knowing that Sabrina’s last months before she was hospitalized were filled with fun, love and excitement because she spent them at UA.”

Massey ended his address with consolation and with a reminder to those 
who attended.

“She’s healed, she’s whole and we’re going to celebrate the life that she did live,” he said. “Leave this place smiling, knowing that there is joy on the horizon.”