Possible coal mine permit threatens local water quality

The Alabama Surface Mining Commission is currently considering a permit that would allow strip mining for coal along the Mulberry Fork of the Black Warrior River near Cordova. The University of Alabama System owns most of the 286 acres of Shepherd Bend, the proposed stretch along the Mulberry Fork.

The permit has been challenged by Black Warrior Riverkeeper and the Southern Environmental Law Center, who said they feel that mine would worsen water quality and hinder the town’s growth along a nearly completed Interstate 22 – which will run from Birmingham to Memphis.

“Not only will this mine pose a threat to Birmingham’s drinking water supply, but also it will diminish water quality, wildlife habitat and quality of life for property owners around the Mulberry Fork,” said Black Warrior Riverkeeper Nelson Brooke in a release.

“We’re asking not only water customers in Birmingham to oppose this mine, but also those downstream and students and faculty within the System,” he said.

According to a release from Black Warrior Riverkeeper, the proposed mine would run 1,773 acres – with 29 outfalls into the river, 10 of which would be located upstream of the Birmingham Water Works water intake.

The Birmingham Water Works Board submitted a letter of opposition to the mine, saying that it caused concerns with source water quality degradation, increased treatment costs and decreased tap water quality.

On Aug. 19, ASMC hosted a public conference to listen to opinions from both opponents and supporters of the permit.

“I am all for the approval of the permit,” said Andrew Martinez, a junior majoring in media production. “I can’t imagine a mining company not having certain plans in place to deter possible pollutants, like holding ponds or something. I really think having the mine would be beneficial for the community and create a lot of jobs in the process.”

Five days after the conference, residents living in Cordova reported a fire to a local volunteer fire department, which was able to extinguish it after it burned down just less than an acre.

The following night, another fire was reported, but by the time firefighters had subdued the flames, more than 20 acres had been burned. Another fire was reported Thursday morning, although fire marshals who reported to the scene are unaware if it was started separately or if it was connected to the fire of the previous night.

“I’m not sure if they’re linked to the strip mine or not,” said lifelong Cordova resident Billy Wiley. “I don’t want to accuse anybody, but to me and others in this area, it seems kind of peculiar to have a fire right where the strip mine was going to be, if the permit is approved.”

Wiley said this was the first major fire in Cordova since 1987 and the first he could remember since 2003.

“The fire went right up to my property line,” Wiley said. “We’re all worried about what could happen.”

The ASMC has just less than 60 days to decide on the permit.