Semester parking passes offer students alternative

The SGA has introduced semester-long parking permits designed to help students with the rising costs of parking permits on campus, as well as accommodate their schedules.

The permits, which are available to all UA students, cost $120 each for the fall and spring semesters and $80 for the summer term.

“The SGA recognized the need to offer semester parking passes, because we have many students who are only here for the duration of a single semester, due to traveling abroad, graduation, internships or unforeseen circumstances,” said SGA press secretary Katie Breaseale. “We hope this option will be more convenient and help alleviate the financial burden on students.”

According to Breaseale, the permits will only be sold over the front counter and will only be available for the lots not sold out through online registration. No deck access will be granted with these permits, and no semester permits will be sold for the reserve lots or decks.

“The SGA’s goal is to help students save money in these uncertain economic times,” said James Fowler, SGA president. “We hope this service will be relevant to the needs of students. By having the option to purchase a one-semester parking pass, students graduating or studying abroad can make more responsible decisions with their already strapped budgets.”

Breaseale said the fall semester permit will expire on Dec. 31, the spring semester permit on May 31 and the summer semester permit on Aug. 15.

Hillary Watson, a junior majoring in education, said she thought many students would benefit from the new permits.

“I think the semester permit idea was a great idea,” Watson said. “I know a bunch of people who have internships and hardly ever park on campus, so this will help them a lot.

“I’m a little disappointed that we can’t park in the parking decks, but it’s not that big of a deal. I’ll take what I can get.”

Ian Sams, SGA communications director, said the SGA pursued this project to give students more options and more control in making decisions regarding which parking pass to buy.

“I think students deserve the option of buying semester or year-long parking passes,” Sams said. “I hope this project helps students who have been wanting this option, and I’m excited that the SGA was able to work with Transportation Services to get this done.”

Semester parking passes for the fall semester went on sale Aug. 2.