APR adds specializations with other changes

The update, which has been a work in progress within the APR department for the last few years, will bring new course track plans for both advertising students and public relations students. The changes in curriculum stem from the fast pace of the advertising and public relations fields as well as the faculty’s goal to better prepare students for after graduation, department officials said. The course plans will appear in the 2015-2016 course catalog.

In addition to the general major curriculum options, there will be specialization opportunities for students majoring in both disciplines. Across the board, the update is meant to offer strategic thinking and research courses to students earlier in their academic careers so they will be able to excel in 
higher-level courses.

Joseph Phelps, chairman of the department of advertising and public relations, said his involvement in the update was one voice out of many in the APR department that worked to make the 
update happen.

“I think our old curriculum was good at helping students gain certain skill sets, but we knew that we could make it even 
better,” he said. “I am excited about the new curriculum because I believe it will help students gain the skill sets we find necessary to handle today’s public relations and advertising situations.”

In addition to the general course track, advertising will expand its curriculum with specialization opportunities in both consumer and creative areas. Public relations will add specialization plans in technological and digital communication management, nonprofit communication management and sport and 
entertainment management.

Glenn Griffin headed the committee tasked with the update. Griffin teaches courses in creativity and 
portfolio development, and he said he feels one way students can reach the next competitive level will be through 
specialization opportunities.

“It is important to note that in both majors, there will still be general major options,” he said. “However, there will also be options for both advertising and public relations students who have a better understanding of what they want to do. These students can specialize in the fields of their choosing and then enter into those fields with more depth.”

William Gonzenbach, a professor in the department of advertising and public relations, said he believes 
implementing researchcourses earlier is key to student success.

“I have always advised students to take law and research methods if possible,” he said. “Now, the update is basically making research methods part of the curriculum earlier, which is great.”

The update has been designed so students majoring in advertising and public relations may expand their interests in a large way without having to extend their degree time.

A town hall meeting was held Feb. 15 to inform current students of the 
updated details.

All APR majors still involved in beginning courses of their major are invited to look into the update options, as well as those who are undecided in the College of Communication and 
Information Sciences.