Groups push for block seating

This fall, things are set to change with block seating. The Student Government Association has encouraged student organizations from all corners of campus to apply for Student Organization Seating as a way to unite the campus.

“Student Organization Seating has always been open to all SOURCE-registered student organizations,” said Stephen Swinson, SGA vice president of student affairs. “However, this year the SGA has enhanced its efforts to recruit more student organizations to apply in hopes that it will result in a more diverse and inclusive student organization section.”

Alpha Phi Alpha, a traditionally black fraternity, has decided to apply this year because of SGA outreach efforts.

“The openness that the SGA is trying to project is what made us want to apply,” said Teddy Phillips, National Panhellenic Council president and

Alpha Phi Alpha member.  “Taking the time to change it from

Student Block Seating to Student Organization Seating was definitely something that we felt embraced us. We decided to do it because we felt the SGA is trying to embrace every part of campus.”

Phillips said he trusts the process and is optimistic about Alpha’s chances.

“I think it’s going to be a fair process,” he said. “I think they are going to look at the credentials and match them up. The best applications are going to win. I’m pretty confident about us.”

Alpha Phi Alpha President Thomas Walker, along with Phillips, applied to be members of the Student Organization Seating committee.

Phillips said he encourages all other NPHD organizations to apply but doesn’t believe any others have submitted an application.

The newly formed Honors College Assembly will also be vying for Student Organization Seating. President Hallie Paul said HCA is applying for seating because she feels it is a great way to build camaraderie across her organization.

“I think it’s a great opportunity to get to know people and experience Alabama football with your peers, who you’re also in the Honors College with,” she said.

Paul said she believes the student body must help the SGA by applying for

Student Organization Seating or the campus will remain divided.

“It promotes unity across the campus, and I think that’s the goal of promoting block seating this year,” Paul said. “If the SGA wants to break down these barriers, I think it’s something the student body should respond to and support.”

Air Force ROTC will be applying for Student Organization

Seating for the first time. Executive Officer Nate Culora said they haven’t applied in the past because their student leaders “had no real interest in the applying,” but now feel they can be competitive for a spot in Student Organization Seating.

“We decided to apply for block seating because we felt our organization’s size, GPA, and group involvement around campus had reached a point where we could compete,” Culora said.

Culora said he believes the application process will allow Air Force ROTC to provide a clear and comprehensive view of what they have achieved.

“Organizations must be involved around campus and must have a good average GPA, which I feel are fair criteria for evaluation,” Culora said. “I think we figured out a way to provide answers that will represent our organization accurately and in the best way possible.”

Culora said the new application is an improvement upon previous years’ applications and caters more to student organizations.

“I believe the requirements have been fair in the past,” he said. “However, I feel the new application gives a lot more organizations a better chance to get a block of seating”.

Culora said no members of the Air Force ROTC applied for the Student Organization Seating Committee.

Student Organization Seating applications are due Aug. 27 by 4:45 p.m.

in the SGA office, 231 Ferguson Center.