SGA uses summer lull to plan for fall

As student activities diminished on campus for the duration of summer, the SGA was provided with some downtime to prepare for the fall semester.

In an e-mailed statement, SGA President James Fowler said the SGA focused on designing projects capable of benefiting all students.

“Our main objective was to lay the groundwork for the many successful projects that will debut this fall, like comprehensive constitutional reform and the upcoming gubernatorial debate,” Fowler said. “As we transition to the fall semester, we will also continue increasing communication and engagement with student organizations to maximize the potential of the SGA to leave an indelible mark on our campus.”

SGA Chief of Staff Meg McCrummen said the projects designed over the summer were done with the student body in mind.

“Our SGA actively made significant progress on a host of projects and reforms over the summer,” McCrummen said in an e-mail statement. “From constitutional reform to the High Tide Club, SGA worked hard to make sure that we are ready to serve students the moment they step on campus.”

*Bullet Points: According to an e-mailed document that lists the summer projects:

-Adjustments to the University’s transit system: the SGA and Parking and Transportation Services conducted surveys of student opinion on the transit system’s effectiveness. Further surveys will be conducted in the fall, and potential improvements will be recorded and presented to Transportation Services.

-Football ticket sale: Depending on the sale day on which they participated, most students who applied for football tickets this summer received their chosen package. Another sale of tickets will be made available on Aug. 31 beginning at 7 a.m. In addition, away game tickets will be available to buy during the second week of fall semester.

-Handicap accessibility: The SGA crafted a map that locates the handicap entrances, police phones, curb cuts and handicap parking spots on campus.

-Suit drive: The SGA, the Career Center and the Dean of Students Office are conducting a suit drive for first-generation students in need of suits for interviews. Suits will be collected over several months and then distributed to students in need.

-Mentoring for first-generation students: Proposed by the Dean of Students Office and SGA Student Affairs, mentors will encourage first generation students to get involved on campus and will help them decide which student organizations might interest them most.

-Students with children: Friday, the SGA will invite students with children to a meet-and-greet session. These students will have the opportunity to communicate their concerns.

-Bryant-Denny expansion seating: The SGA created the High Tide Club. Membership to HTC costs $10, and the benefits of membership include the reservation of seating in the upper deck, the reservation of Gate 30 for HTC members only, a free shirt and concession giveaways and the opportunity to receive a book scholarship for members who attend every game.