Apartment pet fees feature pros, cons for residents

Caroline Ciener, a junior majoring in apparel and textiles, says she needs her dog in her life here at the University.

“Well my freshman year I missed my dog at home more than I missed my family, so I always said as soon as I get out of this dorm, I’m getting a dog,” Ciener said. “I’m from North Carolina, and I get homesick a lot, so having a dog here 24/7 relieves a lot of those feelings for me. He’s basically my stress reliever.”

Ciener had to put down a $500 deposit for her apartment, and if she decides to stay there next year she will not have to pay again. Although the dog himself was cheaper, she said the fee at her
 current apartment is understandable 
to a point.

“I think it’s fair because I’ve seen some big dogs at my old apartment complex who actually do $500 worth of damage,” Ciener said. “However, for dogs like mine that are so small and can’t tear up anything, I feel like there should be an opportunity to get the pet fee back when you move out if no visible damage has been done.”

Anna Locklier, a senior majoring in general health studies, said she agrees with Ciener in that the pet rules at apartments are overall understandable but sometimes a little crazy when it comes to how much money is 
being spent.

“For the most part, I agree with apartments’ pet policies,” Locklier said. “Having them on leashes is understandable and not having an obscene amount [of animals] under one roof is too, but the pet policy at my apartment isn’t understandable. I’m already paying a lot of money to live there, so having 
to pay an extra $300 is tough.”

Although her apartment’s pet price is high, Locklier said she wouldn’t trade her dog Axel for the world because he is the light of her life.

She said pet policies are definitely going to play a big role in choosing her next apartment.

“The factor I’m now considering is a fenced-in backyard for him to have more room to play,” Locklier said. “So finding a perfect place is what I will be looking for in the upcoming years.”

Matthew Farley, a sophomore 
majoring in aerospace engineering, said he has had a terrible past when it comes to dealing with apartments’ pet policies.

“When I used to live at the Woodlands, there was a $150 deposit and an additional $15 a month extra on my rent, which was fine,” Farley said. “But then they charged me later on in the year to gas my apartment for fleas, which were never a problem in the first place.”

Farley said his cat Nala is a very clean, quiet and nondestructive 
animal, so when Farley moved to another 
apartment, he took the pet policy into his own hands.

“Honestly, my landlord isn’t aware of my animal,” Farley said. “The apartment where I am currently just looks at it as more money.”

In the future, Farley said he is going to keep an eye out for a fair place for him and Nala to live that won’t just look at his pet as a money opportunity.