Communities offer poolside retreats

Special to The Crimson White

While summer classes and job opportunities take up most of the workweek for many University students, the weekends are here to provide sufficient summer entertainment. With Alabama temperatures ranging from the 80s to the low 100s, though, there is not much enthusiasm for outdoor activities.

Carly Mygrants is a senior soccer player for the University of Alabama majoring in public relations. Like many students, Mygrants has high expectations for her free Saturdays in Tuscaloosa, and knows she must take advantage of her time on the weekends.

She figures the best way to escape the summer heat, while enjoying the beautiful day, is to kick back and relax by the pool.

“The pool is a perfect remedy for those scorching Alabama days,” said Mygrants. “But, you don’t really like going to random recreational pools because families and kids make it hard to relax.”

College living areas, such as The Retreat, University Village and University Downs have pools open all summer, allowing residents to take advantage of their amenities during hot summer days.

Like many communities, these college neighborhoods come equipped with multiple entertainment services. However, unlike family neighborhoods, the pools at each of these locations have unique building details and floor plans to complement a college setting.

According to its website, the pool at The Retreat at Lake Tamaha contains a quarter-million gallons of water, which makes it the largest pool in Tuscaloosa.

The Retreat’s pool features a large potential for a number of different recreational activities including water volleyball, a tanning ledge, a grotto that residents enter by passing under a waterfall, three grilling stations and a whirlpool, all of which students are sure to enjoy.

“I think college students like coming to the Retreat pool because it offers a wide variety of amenities,” Mygrants said. “It’s also very spacious and spread out so you don’t feel like you are bombarded by random people.”

University Village also offers entertainment to college students, with eight pools in its community.

Two of these pools have waterproof pool tables just above water level. Three feature water about knee-high, prompting many students to bring lounge chairs. The last three pools are about six feet deep and provide sufficient swimming room.

Shannon Lanthrop, a junior majoring in nutrition, said she prefers lying in chairs that are partially underwater so she has easy access to refreshing water when she gets overheated.

“The Village gives college students the opportunities to choose what leisure activity they would like to enjoy,” Lanthrop said.

Veronika Wolfkeil, a UA junior, feels the reason college students enjoy the Village pool is because the lifestyle has a defined college feel, unlike typical community and family pools.

The University Downs is another community pool area that will appeal to students and includes the added benefit of being closer to campus.

It has two pools, with the bigger one sporting a basketball net. Robert Hollingsworth is in charge of coordinating the entertainment for students at the Downs, and said the Downs hosts live music and provides free food every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.

All three pools are student-friendly and don’t necessarily require the student to live in the complex. However, each community does have its own gate that requires either an access code or someone who lives there to approve entry.

If the majority of college students crashing the community pool is not what you’re looking for, then there are plenty of public pools available as well.

While the outdoor University Recreation pool is open to all UA students, you must be taking classes during the summer to enter for free. Without classes you are required to pay a membership fee to access its amenities, which include a lazy river, a waterslide, water basketball and a kiddy pool with mini fountains.

The Tuscaloosa County Park and Recreation Authority is another system that opens its pools to the public. PARA offers three pools to the public, but most require a membership for entry.