Bentley, Byrne sling accusations in runoff debate

Robert Bentley and Bradley Byrne faced off in their second debate June 25 at the Cahaba Grand Conference Center in Birmingham.

The Young Republican’s Federation and the Alabama and Auburn Student Government Associations hosted the debate. SGA President James Fowler was featured on the panel along with Kurt Sasser, Auburn’s SGA Chairman.

The two candidates largely agreed on every issue discussed, but Bentley and Byrne did not hesitate from pointing harsh criticisms at each other.

Following Byrne attacking the insurance industry, Bentley accused Byrne of accepting large donations from insurance companies.

“It’s hard to stand up to the large insurance companies in this state if you’ve taken hundreds of thousands of dollars from those companies,” Bentley said. “My opponent has done that.”

Byrne repeatedly interjected “that is a lie, that is not true” until moderator John Paepcke, an NBC 13 anchor, told Byrne he had to wait until his next question to respond.

Bentley also took a shot at Byrne’s prior Democratic Party affiliation by saying, “I have always been a Republican” in response to a question about growing the Republican base. Byrne was first elected as a Democrat but switched parties in 1997.

Byrne said Bentley is backed by Democratic leaders who are attempting to “hi-jack” the runoff. Byrne specifically mentioned Alabama Education Association Executive Secretary-Treasurer and influential Democratic Party leader Paul Hubbert throughout the debate, linking Bentley to the AEA.

“Paul Hubbert and the democrats have held this state back for decades,” Byrne said during the first of many direct attacks against Hubbert. “They have controlled our education system. They have blocked ethics reform, and they even block things we try to do to move our economy forward. It is time, it is high past time, that we tell Paul Hubbert and the Democrats that have controlled this state for so long: ‘Paul we want our state back’ ”

After Byrne’s fifth reference to Paul Hubbert, Bentley said, “I think this is a forum on Paul Hubbert.”

Bentley also said it was unfair for Byrne to suggest he was an AEA “lackey.”

“I vote against them and I vote for them,” Bentley said. “It depends on whether they are right or they are wrong. Who do you think gets the most money from special interests? It’s not me.”

The AEA funded a radio ad attacking Bradley Byrne for supporting the teaching of evolution in public schools.

The only clear policy disagreement came in regards to how to best handle the issue of legalized gambling in Alabama.

“The only way that you can rid this state of gambling is to have a clear vote,” Bentley said, responding first to the question. “I believe the Christian people of this state will vote it down.”

Byrne disagreed with Bentley’s assessment, saying a statewide vote would end in favor of gambling.

“The gambling interests would love to have a referendum,” Byrne said.

In his last response, Bentley pledged to not run any negative campaign ads against Byrne.

The Republican Gubernatorial runoff election takes place July 13.