University Programs app due Friday

It might be surprising to some that the Ferguson Center Movie Series, International Expressions, Hot Topics discussion series, Discovery Series classes and On the Town with the Ferg come from the same place, but LaToya Scott, director of University Programs, wants students to know University Programs is home to multiple forms of student participation and programming.

“We don’t just do one thing,” she said. “There’s nothing that we can’t focus on.”

(See also “University Programs provides events, opportunities“)

Scott said University Programs, which provides event programming to the campus, encourages connection and community among students because it is student-led and student-driven.

“I think that what makes the programs stand out is, they’re for students, by students, and because they represent so many different groups on campus. That’s why they speak to students,” Scott said.

Each program takes about 30 days to plan and goes through a process that covers everything from risk management to contracts to promotion. The board of University Programs took home awards at last year’s Association for the Promotion of Campus Activities and will return this year to compete in the graphics and programming board categories, as well as to present on recruitment and organization structure.

(See also “University Programs wins award for events, activities“)

The key to their success, Scott said, is collaboration with campus partners.

“I think that our students do a great job of taking the pulse of the campus, whether it’s through social media [or] going to classrooms,” she said.

Bonnika Ashley, event programmer for the Discovery Series, said collaboration is just one of the four core values that shape their programs and make them successful. Successful programs must also have a curricular aspect and student development aspect and promote education, service or life skills, she said. Feedback and evaluation are the final step to a program’s success.

Ashley said University Programs is able to produce unifying programs because its staff is diverse and chooses topics that benefit students from all walks of life.

“I am an out-of-state student myself, and the wonderful thing about University Programs is that we are able to connect students from all backgrounds,” she said. “We conduct and host all of these events specifically to establish and help students’ relationships flourish amongst different groups on campus.”

University Programs hosts International Expressions events, including International Food and Flair, a multi-cultural food tasting and fashion show. Naz Syed, a junior majoring in secondary math education, displayed her Pakistani heritage by wearing a lengha for the event.

“It was an amazing experience and I felt so proud to be a student from a different culture that night,” Syed said.

(See also University students reach out to international peers“)

Syed said student-led programming ensures that events are fun and interesting, and in this case promoting diversity gave students an important chance to personally interact with other cultures.

Applications to join University Programs as an event programmer, intern or graduate assistant are due Friday. Scott said students who are excited about their campus and want to be involved should apply. University Programs will provide classes and training for students, to help qualify them for the position.

“If that’s what you want to do, we are the place on campus for you. All you have to do is have an interest and want to work in programming,” Scott said. “If that’s all you have, we can take it from there.”