Students travel to Cannes on scholarship

Twenty-two students from the University of Alabama were granted scholarships to be a part of the Cannes Film Festival in France this past May. Among those students was Xavier Burgin, a sophomore Omega Psi Phi majoring in film production.

Through the IIACI program, students interested in anything from filmmaking to business were given responsibilities and opportunities to learn about their field of interest.

“It actually puts you right in the midst of the film industry and shows you how a lot of the business transactions happen, and how people work in general when it comes to buying, selling and viewing the films,” Burgin said.

The students worked specifically for The American Pavilion, a private organization that, through membership, gives interns, stars and filmmakers a place to eat, drink and mingle.

“Basically, you get to schmooze with directors and producers that come through and make as many contacts as possible,” Burgin said. Interns worked under The American Pavilion on six-hour shifts. Burgin worked at the front desk where he registered all the guests and members. They were allowed to go and experience the festival on their own after their shift. They were given badges through The American Pavilion, which were often used to either get a sneak peek at the red carpet, where stars such as James Franco were spotted, or to get into film showings.

“Your badge can get you into places that regular people can’t go to. We were like VIP’s backstage, but there are levels of VIP and our badge would only get us so far,” Burgin said. “Making connections and friends associated with certain films could get you an invite to a certain premier as well.”

The Cannes Film Festival showed many different kinds of films, but it was more of a business transaction in general. According to Burgin, “You had the top part which everyone sees, such as watching the films in competition, but beneath that, the majority of the film festival is about the market and the different pavilions that represent each nation in the world that is trying to get their films sold onto a larger platform.”

Burgin is an aspiring filmmaker who uses Quentin Tarantino as inspiration.

“I just liked his mindset of: I’m going to make films, and make films, and make films. I am not going to stop, and I’m not going let anything stop me from doing it,” Burgin said.  “You have to be loud, bossy, and to the point.

“You can’t be the kind of person who is too timid to push your opinion, because no one will ask for it.”

Burgin has posted many films of his experience in France on YouTube and has created his own website to broadcast his work at vimeo.com/xay.