Tuition has doubled since Witt’s arrival at UA

Tuition has doubled since Witts arrival at UA

The University of Alabama System Board of Trustees voted June 18 to approve a tuition increase that could cause economic hardships for some University students.

Tuition for in-state students will be raised 12.9 percent, to $7,900 per two semesters, in the 2010-2011 school year in order to compensate for a decrease of state funds and rising costs associated with the University’s maintenance.

Meanwhile, out-of-state tuition will rise 6.8 percent, to $20,500, for two semesters of a traditional 15-hour course load. Law school tuition will jump 9 percent, to $15,760, per year for Alabama residents, and 5.7 percent, to $28,070, for out-of-state students.

With the increase, the University of Alabama is now tied with Auburn University as the most expensive public education institution in the state.

The 12.9 percent increase is the largest annual increase since University President Robert Witt’s first year in office, when trustees approved a 16.3 percent tuition increase in 2003.

In-state tuition has increased 122 percent during Witt’s tenure, from $3,556 in 2002-2003 to the current $7,900 for 2010-2011.

University Spokeswoman Cathy Andreen said the tuition increase was necessary to maintain Alabama’s high standard in the face of state budget cuts.

“The tuition increase will allow the University to continue to provide the high-quality educational experience our students and their parents expect,” she said. “Despite a $56-million reduction in state appropriations in the past two years, our students continue to have full access to the classes they need to graduate; our classes are taught by fully qualified faculty, and we are fully staffed to meet students’ needs and expectations.”

University officials stressed that the tuition increase will also enable the University to raise the salaries of its faculty and staff.

“Faculty and staff have not received salary increases for the last two years,” Andreen said. “The dedication and commitment of our hard-working faculty and staff have enabled UA to maintain our momentum. We want to reward this commitment to educational excellence, and continue to attract and retain the best and brightest faculty and staff.”

But some students are concerned with the rapid rise of costs associated with getting a degree from the University of Alabama.

Robert Fender, a junior majoring in business, questioned the timing of the tuition increases.

“Things aren’t going too well with our economy right now, and I know a lot of friends who will be hurt by these added costs,” he said. “Everybody else is having to tighten their belts during this recession. I just wish the University had waited until things got better before adding another burden to Alabama students.”

Grant Jackson, a senior majoring in psychology, said he trusts University officials to handle tough decisions.

“It’s probably not ideal for me and my family, but it would be pretty naive of me to just sit here and complain,” Jackson said. “I’m sure it is a very complicated issue, and I’m sure it was a very hard decision. I trust that Dr. Witt and whoever were responsible for making the decision did it for the right reasons”