Student Health Center to offer free flu shots

For the second year, The University of Alabama Medical Center and Student Health Center will be providing 10,000 flu shots free of charge to any faculty and students who want one.

The Center for Disease Control and Prevention suggests everyone get vaccinated against flu shots once a year to protect from new strains of the virus. The flu shot being offered by the SHC is intended to protect against three strains at once.

“No insurance is needed. Students, faculty and staff have to provide their name and CWID. It’s a small form,” Brett Jaillet, communications specialist of the College of Community Health Services, said.

David Brown, nursing supervisor, said this campaign does more than protect the 10,000 inoculated individuals and that a vaccinated community is healthier even for those who have not received flu shots.

“[Herd immunity] arises when a high percentage of the population is protected through vaccination against a virus or bacteria, making it difficult for a disease to spread because there are so few susceptible people left to infect. So if enough of The University of Alabama community are immunized to influenza, then we should see less cases of influenza in that population,” Brown said.

People who should not get a flu shot, Brown said, are those with allergies to eggs. Those with any other allergies are advised to check with their doctor if getting another shot that day.

“Anyone with immune- compromise condition should check with their physician before getting a flu shot. Pregnant women or those nursing babies should check with their physician but usually are approved and encouraged to get the flu vaccine,” Brown said.

According to the CDC, flu season can start as early as October.The SHC will offer shots at various stations throughout September and October all over campus, Jaillet said.

“The goal of this campaign is to not only vaccinate UA students, faculty and staff against the flu, but also to make it as convenient and easy as possible to get a flu shot. That’s why we’re covering as many locations on campus as possible,” Jaillet said.