High enrollment may result in more bike thefts

Bike theft appears to be on the rise and some blame the ever-growing student body as the cause.

The enrollment numbers at The University of Alabama continue to climb, and the influx of more students can only mean the risk of property theft will heighten, most notably with bicycles on campus.

Jason Capely, owner of Queen City Cycles, said he firmly believes the increase in theft is due to climbing student numbers.

“Bike theft has definitely picked up – more students means more bikes,” Capely said. “I’ve seen a sharp increase even in just the last year or so, and it definitely has to do with more students. I think it is pretty easy to get the bike, then pretty easy to move it on to some place else.”

Capely said most bike thefts occur because of how easy they are to steal and then subsequently sell, which in turn, makes it difficult for bicycle store owners who buy and sell back bicycles to know which bikes are or are not stolen property.

“I actually accidentally purchased a stolen bike not too long ago,” Capely said. “We got it worked out to where I could keep the bike in the end, but it was kind of a pain to deal with.”

Capely said the University is taking some steps to prevent bike theft, but when thefts are reported, results are typically scarce after the initial investigation due to the difficulty associated with tracking such a small item.

“The University is having everyone register their bikes, and I guess that is helping a little bit, but other than that, they aren’t doing a whole lot,” Capely said. “A lot of times a bike gets stolen, the police do a write up of it, and nothing comes of it because they know pretty much once it’s stolen, most of the time the bikes are leaving town, making it harder to track.”

Capely said those concerned about the safety of their bikes should invest in a good bike lock which, although somewhat expensive, is essentially theft-proof.

“If someone is leaving their bike out at night, then they will want a more expensive lock,” Capely said. “Especially at night, you do not want to use a cheap lock. Lock your bikes up, because there is someone out there stealing them.”

UA policy regarding proper bicycle procedure on campus is specific in providing the way students should handle their property on campus.

According to the policy: “Bicycles should be secured to a bike rack each time they are left unattended on campus for any period of time. Locking devices and methods may vary, but the U-shaped type of bicycle lock is the preferred type of locking device. When physically possible, secure the main frame to the security rack. If wheels are of the quick-release type, attempt to secure the lock through the security rack, the bike frame and the wheel. If necessary, use an additional lock with a long shackle or a cable and lock to secure all the parts together.”

It establishes that the University is not responsible in the event of a bike being stolen, which puts the responsibility of the property on the owner.

“The University of Alabama assumes no responsibility for the loss, damage, theft, care or protection of any bicycle or attached accessory, including locking devices or contents, at any time. Individuals who bring a bicycle onto the University’s campus assume all risk of loss or damage of the bicycle. All persons on campus should be reasonably aware of his/her own safety, whether as a pedestrian, cyclist, or vehicle operator, according to the policy.”

UAPD and UA administration did not comment directly when asked about the increase in bike thefts on campus.