Announcements for 4/23/2010

Delta Chi Hosts 57th Crawfish for Cancer

From 1 p.m. until 5 p.m. today, the Delta Chi fraternity will host its annual Crawfish for Cancer. For a $5 entry price, participants can get as much crawfish as they can eat.

All proceeds for the event will benefit the Jimmy V foundation for Cancer research. The Jimmy V Foundation was founded by the late Jimmy Valvano, who announced the creation of the foundation while accepting an award during the 1993 ESPYs. Since its origin, The Jimmy V Foundation has saved many lives including Valvano’s own daughter who suffered from breast cancer.

Delta Chi nationally has raised $102,000 for Jimmy V, which is almost 80 percent of the goal set in 2008 for August 2010.

Judicial board Begins Office Hours

The judicial branch of the SGA is now requiring office hours for all justices and clerks. This will increase the transparency of the judicial board and make all members more accessible to students. The 20 associate justices and three clerks will be required to work at least one office hour a week in the SGA office. Prior to April 13, only the chief justice was required to do office hours.

SGA launches temporary Web site

The Student Government Association is in the process of creating a more user-friendly and interactive Web site to serve as a resource for students. The SGA will be adding social media outlets, senate videos and financial information.

A temporary site is currently in place to mark the beginning of this transition.

There will be a calendar and announcements on the homepage for students to use as a resource for upcoming events and important dates. Senate meeting videos will also be posted online. Financial information will be also included, such as the FAC allocations and officer salaries.

Course evaluations now on myBama

Beginning this semester, paper course evaluations will no longer be collected in class, marking the final stage of the transition to a new, online Student Opinions of Instruction system that began in fall 2008. Students are invited to complete questionnaires via the online system between now and May 2. Reports for faculty and administrators will be available after May 11. Students, faculty and administrators may access the system by logging into myBama and clicking on the Student Opinions of Instruction box on either the student, faculty or employee tabs. For more information, visit studentopinions.ua.edu/news.

Summer on-campus housing avaible

Summer housing applications are available on myBama. All students are eligible to live on campus during the summer as long as they are enrolled for the fall. Students do not need to be enrolled in summer classes to live on campus. More information: Housing and Residential Communities at 348-6676.

Register now for fall Get On Board Day

Registration for the fall Get On Board day has started. Departments can register via e-mail to Alex Karagas. Organizations can register via myBama at SOURCE, which can be accessed by clicking on the “Campus Life” tab. Under their profiles, organizations should click on “Tools” then “Forms.” Priority registration deadline is May 7 at 4:45 p.m., with cost being $15 per organization and $20 per department. The official deadline is Aug. 20 at 4:45 p.m., with cost being $20 per organization and $25 per department. Payment must be made at 355 Ferguson Student Center (Student Involvement and Leadership).