UMCH helps send foster children to Alabama

The United Methodist Children’s Home, an organization that provides housing and support for foster youth in Alabama, has partnered with The University of Alabama to provide scholarships for teenage foster youth who want to attend college.

UMCH will provide tuition scholarships for eight young men to enroll at the University in the fall, as well as a group home to live at during their time in school. UMCH also partners with The University of North Alabama, where eight young women will enroll in the fall.

Rebecca Morris, director of marketing and external affairs for the UMCH Birmingham office, said both universities were excited to make this opportunity a reality in the community.

“The need has been there for a while. A lot of foster kids are taken care of until they’re 18, and then there is not a next stop,” Morris said.

UMCH will also provide transportation and an in-home advisor for the students. Morris said many of the students have grown up in foster care, and to put them directly into a college dorm would not provide the extra support they need in this transitioning time.

“Many dorms close over Christmas and spring break, so when that time comes, where will the foster kids go? We will be that family,” Morris said.

The application is open to anyone in foster care or an alternative living situation, such as living with grandparents or friends. Another requirement is a 3.0 high school GPA, but Morris said there are a limited number of scholarships provided to students with a GPA below 3.0.

Jameka Hartley is coordinator of Alabama REACH, a new program that provides students who are foster youth with support and resources they need on campus. She said the program conducts monthly workshops and offers academic coaching, as well as doing service projects and cultural activities.

“We just make sure any needs they have, such as buying textbooks or paying fees, are met for them, either through community partners or our resources here at UA,” Hartley said.

Hartley said Alabama REACH is excited for the great partnership opportunity UMCH is providing for the young men who will attend on scholarship.

“Housing costs and tuition costs are the greatest deterrents of going to college for them,” Hartley said. “With this, they won’t have to worry so much about money, and can engage on campus, focus on their studies, and get the best out of their college experience.”

Dianne Teague, coordinator of first-generation scholarships at UA, said she believes by offering scholarship opportunities to students, the University is fulfilling one of its primary missions.

“Many students dream of attending The University of Alabama and are unable to do so because of financial constraints,” Teague said. “This scholarship can make that dream come true for students who otherwise might not be able to come here.”

For more information about the UMCH and how to apply for this scholarship, visit www.umch.net.

Loss at Ole Miss damages Alabama’s chances for high SEC tournament seed

Baseball team heading to take on Cardinals

Men’s team continues spring schedule in Vegas