Announcements for 4/19/2010

Ad Team presents final campaign

The UA Ad Team will be presenting their campaign for State Farm Insurance, which will compete in the National Student Advertising Competition. The 30-minute mock presentation will be tonight at 7 p.m. in Reese Phifer Hall Room 216. All are welcome to attend.

This year’s challenge was to help State Farm attract and retain young adult (ages 18-25) policyholders. Last year, the team’s “LessThanUThink” campaign placed second nationally, losing by only one-tenth of a point out of 100 points. The Ad Team will compete in the district competition this weekend in Mobile.

SGA director applications now available

The 2010 application for SGA director positions is available at sga.ua.edu and is due Wednesday by 5 p.m. Students can indicate their top three preferences when applying; interviews will follow after applications are processed.

Along with director applications, University Standing Committee applications will also be available until Wednesday, followed by an interview process.

UA department presents Langston Hughes Project

The department of gender and race studies is presenting the “Langston Hughes project” event as part of the University’s observance of National Poetry and National Jazz months. Ronald McCurdy will speak at 7:30 p.m. on Friday in the Moody Music Building. The project is based on the poem “As Your Mama: 12 Moods for Jazz” by Langston Hughes. McCurdy, professor at the University of Southern California’s Thornton School of Music, will perform with a jazz quartet to a multimedia presentation featuring the words, life and images of Hughes. This event is free and open to the public.

30-Day Tobacco-Free challenge continues

Information tables for the 30-Day Tobacco-Free Challenge will be at the Ferguson Student Center on Monday from noon to 2 p.m. In 30 days, you could reduce your risk of cancer and heart and lung diseases by joining with the tobacco-free challenge. Come by the Ferguson Student Center for more information and to pick up your “How to Quit Kit.”

Peer mentor applications due today

The Career Center is accepting applications for a 2010-11 peer advisor. Peer advisors educate and train undergraduate students on career-related topics so they can provide assistance to their peers. Applications are available from the Career Center at 330 Ferguson Student Center or online. The application, a cover letter and a résumé are due to the Career Center by 5 p.m. today. More information: Tiffany Goodin at 348-5848.