Students to celebrate environmental week

Starting Monday, the SGA department of environmental concerns and several student organizations will host Green Week across the campus.

Events are scheduled to promote environmentally friendly activities and to attract students to participate in activities that raise awareness about the dangers of wasteful consumption.

“Green Week is a week-long series of events to promote environmental thought,” said Justinn Trott, director of the SGA department of environmental concerns.

Trott said the events are designed to attract students who may undervalue environmentalist sentiments.

“Each event is geared towards students who wouldn’t necessarily come to an environmental event,” Trott said.

In addition, Trott said all of the events are free except for a fashion show on Tuesday, which will cost $5 at the door for admission and will be held on Doster Lawn from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m.

Trott said Green Week will begin Monday, encompassing Earth Day on Thursday, and will end Friday when the same day the Greeks for Green campaign ends.

Trott said the events have high potential to appeal to a large number of students on campus.

“Everyone is going to be attracted to something different,” Trott said. “People love to come to the events because they’re a great social outlet, and it’s the week before Dead Week.”

Kelly Fields, greek liaison to the SGA department of environmental concerns, said that there were a number of events that would more than likely draw a fair amount of students.

Fields said “A Bug’s Life” will be shown for free on the east side of the Quad by Lloyd Hall at 8 p.m. Monday.

“There will be free popcorn and drinks,” Fields said. “It’s a good movie to promote a greener way and to show the ways that we affect nature.”

Fields said the participants were asked to use biodegradable T-shirts that were made without pesticides of any kind, and the contestants had to use parts of nature, such as grass or leaves, to decorate the clothing.

Fields said various signs and displays would be posted around campus on Wednesday to alert students to information about recycling and the dangers of using products like Styrofoam.

Fields said students can bring a T-shirt to be tie-dyed for free or buy a shirt to get tie-dyed at the Ferguson Plaza from 11 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. on Thursday.

Fields said the final event that will culminate all the activities of Green Week will be a meeting held at Denny Chimes at 4 p.m. on Friday to call attention to cycling safety and awareness of cyclists on the roads.

Events Calendar – GREEN WEEK 2010

Monday, April 19

Screening of “A Bug’s Life”

Location: East Side of the Quad

Time: 8 p.m. or sundown

Sponsored by: RHA, Apwonjo, SGA DEC

Tuesday, April 20

Tee-Time Fashion Show/Silent Auction:

featuring sustainable fashion

Location: Doster Lawn

Time: 7-9 p.m., tickets sold at the tent

Sponsored by: Fashion Inc., SGA DEC

Wednesday, April 21

Sustainability Day

Look for signs and displays around campus to learn about recycling and other environmental initiatives on campus

Sponsored by: UA Business Honors, SGA DEC

Thursday, April 22

Tie Dye to celebrate Earth Day

Location: Ferguson Plaza

Time: 11 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.

Bring a T-shirt to tie-dye or buy one for $3

Sponsored by: SGA DEC

Friday, April 23

Critical Mass

Location: Denny Chimes

Time: 4 p.m.