Bicycle theft common crime on campus, recovery difficult

Last semester, someone stole Margaret Kennedy’s bike, and the junior majoring in special education became another victim of a recurring problem on The University of Alabama’s campus.

“It was locked up behind the sorority houses, and I left it there for the weekend on homecoming weekend. I came back on Sunday to get it, and someone had cut the lock,” Kennedy said. “It was my fault for leaving it overnight, but I wouldn’t think someone would clip the lock.”

The University of Alabama bike policy states that registration is encouraged but not required, and that if your bike is stolen you should report it to the UAPD immediately. If the bicycle isn’t registered with the University, though, there will be a delay because of the process of veri?cation of ownership and veri?cation of insurance carrier.

“It was not registered on campus, so I didn’t call UAPD,” Kennedy said. “I think people don’t really think to register bikes because they don’t think people go and check. I don’t really know anyone that has their bike registered.”

(See also “UAPD lacks information officer”)

There are more than 33,000 students at The University of Alabama, but Stuart Glaeser, manager of transportation services said only 1,850 bikes are registered.

“What we have found through several questionnaires is that the majority of individuals do not know their bike’s brand, make or serial number,” Glaeser said. “By registering your bike with Parking Services we maintain that information for you, and you are also able to upload a picture of your bike. This will help in identifying your bike if it is located.”

Kennedy said she is now more cautious with her bike. “I still occasionally bike to class, but I mostly just use my new bike recreationally, so I make sure it doesn’t get stolen again,” Kennedy said. “And when I go out of town for the weekend I put it inside my house.”

Football players’ victim speaks out after arrests

Miss University of Alabama pageant Saturday

[Opinion] Members of Internet age must go back to dating basics