LeaderShape to host information sessions for interested applicants

University of Alabama students who have attended The LeaderShape Institute, a yearly leadership program held in Atlanta, Ga., and the division of Student Affairs are hosting an information session in Room 302 of The Ferguson Center, Feb. 4 at 7 p.m.

This is one of three information sessions this semester. These sessions will cover topics such as other students’ previous experiences with the program, transportation and the application process.

LeaderShape is a six-day leadership development program where students learn new skills and how to improve an organization. Over the six days, students interact with 60 other college student leaders from all over the country.

“It’s a week-long program where you develop your leadership skills and self-reflect a lot,” Karly Weigel, a previous participant in the program, said. “It allowed me to turn my focus to myself and see what I believe in.”

The LeaderShape session UA students will be attending this year runs from July 28 to Aug. 2 in Atlanta, Ga.

“It’s an invaluable memory that I have,” Weigel, a junior majoring in political science and public relations said.

(See also “Ignite UA develops freshmen”)

The University will cover tuition and travel expenses for the program, Phillips Thomas, the student affairs program coordinator for the University’s Division of Student Affairs, said.

Shannon Walker, also a previous participant in the program, said attending The LeaderShape Institute was a good experience.

“It helps you to learn how you react to certain situations,” Walker, a junior majoring in mathematics and communication studies said. “It helped me to learn about myself.”

At LeaderShape students also participate in group activities with their “family clusters,” or small groups. These activities include offering constructive critique to their fellow group members, Walker said.

At the end of the six-day session, students are encouraged to come up with a personal vision to implement in the future.

Weigel said her vision is to have 100 percent of eligible Americans vote in a future presidential election.

Applications for the program are online at sa.ua.edu/leadershape.cfm. All applications are due by 11:59 p.m. Feb. 15. Any student who will be returning to the University in the fall is eligible to apply.

Tax credit for student loans survives politics of ‘fiscal cliff’

Crimson Tide loses 87-54 at Florida moves 2-7 in SEC

Rece Davis tells students to seize days at Alabama