Christian sorority rush open to women of faith

University of Alabama women are invited to attend the recruitment week for Alpha Delta Chi, a national Christian sorority, beginning Tuesday, Jan. 29.

“Girls will benefit enormously from joining,” said Megan Lawrence, president of Alpha Delta Chi. “Not only do you immediately gain about 50 new sisters, you will be blessed with the comfort of knowing you can depend on any one of us for anything.”

Recruitment events will be held over the course of three days beginning with a meet-and-greet in Room 313 of the Ferguson Center on Tuesday, followed by a night of worship and a philanthropy event.

“I would say the most beneficial thing I have experienced is gaining a tight knit network of friends and bonds that I know will last me a life time,” Brittany Monte, vice president of external affairs for Alpha Delta Chi, said. “I have girls that I am confident will continue to support me in all situations, but also spiritually.”

The founding chapter was formed at the University of California in 1925 for Christian women to be able to participate in greek life without compromising their beliefs.

“Alpha Delta Chi is a Christian sisterhood with two goals: to share God’s love and message on campus through service and through our witness, and to provide Christian girls with a support system and a group of like-minded girls they can create long-lasting memories with,” Lawrence said.

The recruitment week for Alpha Delta Chi differs from the traditional fall rush for other sororities on campus because they represent a unique niche of Christian women, Lawrence said.

“Although we comply with Panhellenic conduct and enjoy fellowship with all greek organizations, our membership requirements set us apart and therefore we hold a separate recruitment which allows girls to further pray and consider rushing after exploring other options,” Lawrence said.

Monte said she encourages all women to come to the rush events, even if they are unsure it is right for them.

“I would say to any girl that is considering rushing, just come check us out, even if you’re not sure,” Monte said. “Rush is not only a time for us to meet the girls and see if they’re a fit for us, but also to see if it is something they truly feel called to be a part of.”

To be considered for membership, women must be a Christian and must actively participate in a church organization.

“I rushed and pledged ADX the spring semester of my freshman year, and it was everything I thought it’d be and more,” Lauchlan Smith, a junior majoring in telecommunications and film, said. “It is a sorority with Jesus.”

Lawrence said they differ from traditional sororities in some ways but still participate in social events.

“We don’t allow alcohol at our events and we do not have a house,” Lawrence said. “We are similar in that we do a lot of the same things other sororities do, such as receiving big sisters and participating in swaps.”

Smith said Alpha Delta Chi has been beneficial in terms of leadership roles, as well as within her major.

“In my time with ADX so far, I’ve held a few leadership positions such as the new member educator and have been on standards board the past year,” Smith said. “Both of those have helped me gain experience within my major by interacting with a variety of personalities and practicing effective conflict resolution.”

Alpha Delta Chi currently has 15 chapters nationally, including the Tau Chapter at The University of Alabama founded in 2004.

“Because we are small, we all know each other very well and are able to form strong relationships,” Lawrence said. “I personally know each of my sisters will be there for me at any given time and that is something that is invaluable to me.”

“Originally, I hadn’t wanted to go greek, but I saw chalkings for a ‘Christian sorority’ and didn’t think that was real,” Smith said. “I figured I’d check it out just to see if it was legit. I went to an information meeting, and I ended up loving the girls.”

There will be an information meeting before recruitment week on Thursday, Jan. 24 at 8 p.m. in Room 313 of the Ferguson Center.

“More than half of us never even wanted to or thought we would end up being in a sorority, and now we are a part of something we wouldn’t trade for anything,” Monte said.

For additional information, contact Megan Miller, recruitment chair for Alpha Delta Chi, at [email protected].