Society of Women Engineers awarded bid for 2014 conference

At the Society of Women Engineers’ national gathering in Houston, The University of Alabama’s chapter won hosting privileges for the Region D conference in 2014.

“We are especially excited to host this conference in order to utilize and showcase our new engineering facilities,” Grace Hoover, vice president of membership of the SWE, said.

At the conference, Hoover and Lexi Romine, the vice president of outreach, gave a presentation for the Capstone’s bid to host its regional conference, which was then voted on by the SWE region’s members. Several members including Sarah Johnson, Rachel Mitchell and Beth Todd, the faculty sponsor, helped prepare the presentation, Romine said.

“A few of the details of the presentation were a proposed schedule of events, workshop and continuing education suggestions, proposed venues and entertainment, hotels and accommodations and a budget,” Hoover said.

Mitchell, the president of the University’s SWE chapter, said the event will be hosted sometime in early March. It will primarily take place inside the University’s engineering facilities.

In addition, the UA chapter also won a gold level Outstanding Collegiate Section award for its activities last year. Mitchell said the award is judged by a committee and is based on a report of the chapter’s events and meetings last year.

Twenty members of the University’s SWE chapter attended the conference. Overall, over 6,000 SWE members attended the conference, Hoover said.

During the conference, there were keynote speakers, networking opportunities and workshop sessions, such as “How to Land a Job in 10 Days” and “Rapid Resume Review,” Hoover said.

“One highlight of the weekend was the Career Fair, where over 250 companies were represented and recruiting students for internships, co-op positions, and full time jobs,” Hoover said.

In the past, the SWE has hosted events such as “WOW! That’s Engineering!,” designed to encourage middle school aged girls to become engineers.

“The event aimed to bridge the gap between girls and engineering by teaching middle school aged girls about different types of engineering and how engineers make an impact on society,” Hoover said.

At “WOW! That’s Engineering,” SWE members hosted engineering-based activities for about 150 middle school aged girls, such as building a solar car and cleaning up an oil spill, Romine said.

Hoover said she first joined SWE to network with other women engineers.

“For the last four years that I have been involved with SWE, I have gained valuable leadership and professional skills, been able to travel to and attend six conferences, been educated on many engineering companies and opportunities after graduation, and gained lasting friendships,” Hoover said.

Romine said her membership in SWE has been a very rewarding experience.

“I have met other engineers from all over the country, have interviewed for internships for companies as far as California, and have made many great friendships,” Romine said.