New club offers opportunity to study, sing opera

University of Alabama Opera Theatre students have created a new student organization, Opera Club, as means to share their passion in a way that’s equivalent to an operatic book club.

Haley Malin, a sophomore majoring in vocal performance, and Jen Stephenson, a first-year doctoral student in vocal performance, are the founders of Opera Club. Stephenson approached Malin, wanting to start a club with the sole purpose of studying and singing through the shows.

“There’s just a lot of operas out there,” Stephenson said. “We have a great training program with the Opera Theatre that teaches us how to be singers and actors and dancers and all of that. I thought it would be neat to have an opera appreciation group where we get to know the literature we get to perform.”

Although the club is new this semester, they have already sight read through Gilbert and Sullivan’s “H.M.S. Pinafore” and the first act of Bizet’s “Carmen.” They also had a viewing party of the Metropolitan Opera’s 2010 production of “Carmen” at one of the club members’ homes.

“It’s pretty important for singers to get to know the repertoire that they’ll eventually perform,” Malin said. “We’ve also had non-opera singers come to club events, and there’s plenty to do. If you love opera you’ll be surrounded by it in Opera Club.”

Currently most of the members in the club are from the UA Opera Theatre. It’s made up of mostly graduate students in various points of their degree programs. However, there are undergraduates and people not in UAOT in the club. Anyone with a strong interest in opera is invited to join.

“We are largely singing-focused,” Malin said. “However, you don’t have to sing to be in Opera Club.”

Malin and Stephenson encourage interested students to get in touch with the Opera Club group on Facebook to learn more about upcoming events and meetings. Since most of the members are involved with other performing groups, the club is relaxed in its meeting times. They work around the concert and recital schedules of their members.

“It’s so laid-back,” Malin said. “We hope to take some of the scariness out of opera, because people tend to think of it as such serious business.”

“We are opera club, and we are serious about our art, but it is also a relaxing, fun, social thing, ” Stephenson agreed.

The club traveled to Birmingham, to see the University of Alabama at Birmingham’s production of Lehár’s “The Merry Widow” on Nov. 17. They are currently planning to go to one of the MET Live in HD showings at the Cobb Hollywood 16 Cinemas in December.

“I think that’s an important part of the club as well, supporting opera throughout the state and on a national scale,” Stephenson said.

The response from students has been positive. Stephenson, who serves as the club’s recruiter, said that the support from UAOT director Paul Houghtaling has been extremely encouraging.

“He’s really gone above and beyond in helping us out,” Stephenson said. “It’s been really great being coupled with the Opera Theatre in that way.”