Campus Libertarians refuse to endorse candidate

Young Americans for Liberty is planning to pass out campaign literature Monday at the Ferguson Center.

Luke Netjes, the president of YAL, said because some of its members are Libertarian party candidate Gary Johnson supporters, the group will distribute some of his campaign’s materials and try to convince voters not to vote for either leading party candidate.

While most political observers contend that Johnson has no real chance to win the presidency, he could play the role of spoiler in swing states like Florida.

According to an Oct. 28 CNN Florida poll, Johnson, the former governor of New Mexico, draws about 1 percent of the vote in the Sunshine State. Romney and Obama are tied at 48 percent, while Jill Stein of the Green Party and Virgil Goode of the Constitution Party draw about 1 percent and 1.5 percent, respectively.

“YAL cannot endorse one specific candidate, but the majority of our members are voting Gary Johnson for president,” YAL member Kelsi Nuttle said.

Florida is defined as a battleground state, meaning that its 29 electoral votes could go to either Romney or Obama. Some point to the slim margins between Obama and Romney and say that third party candidates could alter whether or not the state, and also the general election, goes red or blue.

In the 2000 presidential election, George W. Bush won the state by 1/100th of a percent over Al Gore, the smallest margin of victory for any state in Presidential history.

Netjes said he does not plan to vote for any Presidential candidate in this year’s election.

“Young Americans for Liberty hasn’t done too much for the election, as our members find both Barack Obama and Mitt Romney to be terrible people,” Netjes said.

Netjes said Mitt Romney knows much less about the economy than his supporters would like to believe and holds disturbing positions on foreign policy.

“With his well– documented history of being a spineless politician willing to support any position that may garner votes, it seems the only thing we can really count on from Romney is that he would do everything in his power to kill innocent people in the Middle East,” Netjes said.

Netjes is also not a big fan of Obama.

“I think Obama is a bad person that has continued a foreign policy of occupation and mass murder of innocent civilians,” Netjes said.

In the future, the University’s YAL plans to work with the University of Alabama-Birmingham YAL chapter to bring in a speaker for next semester, Netjes said.

The group also plans to send some of its members to the International Students for Liberty Conference in February.

YAL holds its meetings on Mondays at 7 p.m. in ten Hoor 354.