Hubbard reflects on GOP takeover

At a lecture sponsored by The University of Alabama Honors College on Tuesday night, Speaker of the Alabama House of Representatives Mike Hubbard told students how he headed the 2010 Republican campaign that ended 136 years of Democratic control in the Alabama legislature.

Bill Poole, representative of the 63rd district, Tuscaloosa, introduced the speaker and praised Hubbard’s efforts in the 2010 election.

During his lecture, Hubbard spoke of the trials he faced as a minority within the legislature before the historic 2010 election.

Regan Williams, president of College Republicans and a senior double majoring in political science and communication studies, also lauded Hubbard’s efforts in the 2010 election.

“Without Mike Hubbard, there is no Republican state,” Williams said. “He raised over $5 million to help with campaigns. He brought the party together under a central idea.”

When asked about how he felt about the results of him creating the largest coordinated campaign in the Republican Party’s history, Hubbard said he is proud of the campaign.

“I’m proud of what we did,” Hubbard said. “It’s even more historic to see what we did looking back. In 2010, we showed that we can make a difference in Alabama.”

In addition to speaking about his political achievements, Hubbard also spoke of his support for education, saying that Republicans support higher education, but it isn’t necessarily an option for everyone.

“Republicans tend to be more for higher education,” Hubbard said. “I understand everyone doesn’t need to go to college in this country. We have this idea that if you don’t go to college, you’re a failure.”

Regardless, Hubbard assured students that their post-graduate plans are a priority for the Republican Party.

“Our number one agenda has been creating jobs after students finish school,” he said.