Announcements for 4/2/2010

Summer housing available

The summer housing application is now available online through the myBama Web site. Summer housing is an easy, convenient way to stay involved in the University throughout the summer, whether enrolled in summer classes or not. All students are eligible to live on campus in the summer, as long as they are enrolled in classes for the fall. For more information, contact Housing and Residential Communities at [email protected] or 348-6676.

Register for fall Get On Board Day

Registration for the 2010 Fall Get On Board Day has started early. Departments can register by emailing Alex Karagas at [email protected]. Organizations can register by going to the SOURCE and under their organization’s profile click “Tools” then “Forms.” Priority registration deadline is May 7 at 4:45 P.M. and costs $15 per organization and $20 per department. The official deadline is Aug. 20 at 4:45. The cost is $20 per organization and $25 per department. Payment can be cash, check (made out to the University of Alabama) or DTA (made out to the SOURCE) and must be turned into 355 Ferguson. For questions please email Alex Karagas at [email protected].

UA School of Music presents world drumming ensembles

The UA School of Music presents World Drumming Ensembles in concert on Monday at 7:30 p.m. in the recital hall of the Moody Music Building. The concert will feature ethnic drumming from several different groups including the African Drumming Ensemble, a new performance group at the School of Music. They will perform traditional Ghanaian songs from the Ewe ethnic group called “Atsiagbekor” and “Gahu” in arrangements done by Daniel Marbury, a senior at UA and member of the group. This event is free and open to the public. For more information visit: http://www.music.ua.edu/calendar or call 348-7111.

Registration for charity golf tournament ends Sunday

The 2nd annual Rise and Shine Charity Golf Tournament will be held April 26. The Student Alumni Association and Alpha Tau Omega fraternity are co-hosting the event. Tournament proceeds will benefit UA’s RISE School and Student Leadership Scholarships sponsored by the SAA. Entry fees are $100 for current UA students, $125 per golfer and $500 per four-person team. Visit saa.ua.edu/golftournament.html for more information and to register. Registration deadline for golfers is Sunday.

Forensics team to hold auditions

The individual events team portion of the Alabama Forensic Council will hold open auditions for new members on April 22 from 1:30 p.m. to 5 p.m. and on April 23 from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. in 226 Reese Phifer Hall. Interested students should register for an audition time at 210-A Reese Phifer Hall before April 22. For the audition, students should be prepared to make a speech or presentation they have done in the past or present a reading of literature. For more information, contact Frank Thompson, director of the Alabama Forensic Council, 210-A Reese Phifer Hall.

Update UA ALERTS contact information

Remember to update your information on myBama for UA ALERTS. The University conducted a test of its emergency-notification system, UA Alerts last week. If you did not receive a voice call, text message to your cell phone, voice calls to your office and home phones, and e-mails to your myBama e-mail account, please update your contact information on myBama. Or, if you received the alert but would prefer to be contacted differently, you will need to revise your contact information. To view and make changes to your information online, log in to your myBama account.

Volunteers needed for Habitat house build

The Community Service Center will send a group of volunteers to help build a house for Habitat for Humanity in Greensboro on April 10. Register at slpro.ua.edu or contact the Community Service Center at 348-2865.