PR program ranked among highest in the country

PRWeek Magazine recently ranked the public relations program at the University second in the nation and first in undergraduate programs.

The magazine began handing out the PRWeek Awards 11 years ago to reward those achieving in the PR industry, and it gives out 33 awards each year.

The department ranks second only to New York University, which only offers a graduate level public relations program. The other finalists included Georgetown University, Brigham Young University, and Howard University.

“This latest ranking confirms what our students, industry friends and academic colleagues around the country already know: that our undergraduate PR program is one of the elite programs in the nation,” said Loy Singleton, dean of the College of Communication and Information Sciences, in a statement.

The award recognizes excellence in lesson plans for future public relations graduates. Entries were judged based on a combination of real world applications and strategies to teach new media, media relations and crisis communications.

The judges are public relations professionals from agency and corporate areas.

Bruce Berger, the former chairman of the public relations department, helped with the University’s application.

Joseph Phelps, chairman of the advertising and public relations department, said some of the factors that contribute to the high ranking include the high quality of students and the student-initiated efforts to use public relations in the community.

Another factor is the faculty members who support the students, he said.

“It is important to note that this faculty component extends far beyond our department for our students take classes across this campus,” Phelps said. “Finally, and this cannot be overstated, the many supporters of our program play a crucial role.”

On any given day, Phelps said professionals in the field might be visiting classes to talk to students, which gives them a better picture of the industry.

The UA advertising and public relations program currently has over 1,000 students, making it the largest department in the College of Communication and Information Science.

The public relations and advertising program is the 12th in the nation to be reviewed and certified by the Public Relations Society of America, the world’s largest and most recognized organization of public relations professionals.