Chapter houses upgraded

Two new fraternity chapter houses were completed on University Boulevard shortly before the beginning of the fall semester. The new Sigma Chi and Phi Delta Theta fraternity houses were built through alumni support and independent financing, a process that was completed in a little more than a year.

For Sigma Chi, the move onto University Boulevard from Jefferson Avenue was not only a change of address, but also a homecoming of sorts.

“It was really big to return the chapter to University Boulevard, a location we haven’t had the pleasure of being at since the 60s,” said Anthony Osbourne, the Sigma Chi chapter president. “It was a long process, and took a lot of work on our part with the University to get this location, but it wouldn’t have been possible without the generous donations we received from all the Sigma Chi alumni.”

Sigma Chi and Phi Delta Theta received the news they had received their respective land plots in the spring of 2011, construction plans were approved by the University in July 2011 and the houses were completed and opened to their chapters midway through August of this year.

Each chapter set a fundraiser goal towards the construction of the new houses. Phi Delta Theta sought $1 million worth of funds, while Sigma Chi reached out to alumni for $2 million.

“This new house helps us in a great number of ways,” Matt McKee, chapter vice president of Sigma Chi, said. “The houses certainly help with recruitment, but the support it offers the chapter as a whole from the housing of brothers to centering of our activities around it can’t be discounted.”

The previous chapter house of Phi Delta Theta, located directly in front of the football stadium and nearby the Walk of Champions, has been demolished since the completion of their house. Sigma Chi’s previous home still remains on Jefferson Avenue, although currently it is unoccupied.

With this new trend of greek house construction on campus, some students fear that the houses will become more of a show of distinction than one of actual utility. Scott Kline, a junior majoring in mechanical engineering, thinks otherwise.

“The new Sigma Chi and Phi Delta Theta fraternity houses have a definite look of class about them,” Kline said. “Despite being two of the biggest houses on campus, they manage to still be non-ostentatious. They fit in well with the overall look of the campus, and seem like great new additions to me.”

Space for additional houses next to the new Sigma Chi and Phi Delta Theta fraternity houses have already been appropriated by the University and the process of land clearance at these locations began earlier in the semester. Director of Greek Affairs Kathleen Gillan confirmed the two chapter houses to be built at these locations will be the future homes of the Theta Chi and Pi Kappa Phi chapters on campus. Whether or not these will be the last houses to be built on campus could not be confirmed.