Announcements for 3/31/2010

Census forms due Thursday

Census forms received in the mail should be completed and mailed back to the U.S. Census Bureau by April 1. Students must complete their own forms. The UA housing office will also distribute census forms to all campus dorms, collect the completed forms and turn them in to the Census Bureau. Visit www.ua.edu/census2010 for more information about the 2010 census.

Jazz Ensemble and Jazz Standards Combo to perform chamber concert

TUSCALOOSA, AL – The UA School of Music presents the Alabama Jazz Band and Combo in concert on Thursday at 7:30 p.m. in the Concert Hall of the Moody Music Building. UA instructor of drums Mark Lanter will direct the Jazz Band, and Ledama Tajeu, a graduate student in Jazz Studies, will direct the Jazz Combo. The concert is free and open to the public. For more information, call 348-7111.

Book collection contest deadline is today

The deadline for entering the 4th annual book-collecting contest is March 31. University Libraries is co-sponsoring the contest. For rules and an entry form, visit guides.lib.ua.edu/bookcollectingcontest.

Local colleges join for Unity Day

The UA SGA is teaming up with Stillman College and Shelton State Community College to sponsor the fourth annual Unity Day. The event will be held on Stillman’s campus on Friday, April 2 at 3 p.m. There will be free food, music, games and an opportunity to meet and socialize with all higher education students in Tuscaloosa. Unity Day will conclude with a balloon release in which each school will release balloons of their school colors mixing together in a representation of the bond to be made between the campuses.

There will also be a community service aspect to Unity Day that will take place on Wednesday at 4 p.m. at the local Boys and Girls Club chapter. All students from each campus are invited to participate.

Registration for charity golf tournament ends Sunday

The 2nd annual Rise and Shine Charity Golf Tournament will be held April 26. The Student Alumni Association and Alpha Tau Omega fraternity are co-hosting the event. Tournament proceeds will benefit UA’s RISE School and Student Leadership Scholarships sponsored by the SAA. Entry fees are $100 for current UA students, $125 per golfer and $500 per four-person team. Visit saa.ua.edu/golftournament.html for more information and to register. Registration deadline for golfers is Sunday.

WRC raises awareness of sexual violence with art exhibit

The UA Women’s Resource Center will host “Healing the Wounded Heart” art exhibit opening and reception on Thursday from 5 to 9 pm at Kentuck Art Gallery in downtown Northport in coordination with Sexual Assault Awareness Month. Attendees will have the chance to create their own heART piece for the exhibit during Kentuck’s Art Night at the reception. This free event is open to all students, faculty, staff and community members and will be held in the Kentuck Annex.

The Women’s Resource Center will also host various events in recognition of Sexual Assault Awareness Month throughout April including the Take Back the Night March and Rally on Tuesday, April 20 at 6 pm at the Crimson Promenade.

For more information about the exhibit or Sexual Assault Awareness Month events, contact Maria Perez-Fisher at 348-5040 or at [email protected]. For directions to Kentuck Museum, visit www.kentuck.org.