Outdoor Rec offers weekend trips for UA students

Whether outdoor enthusiasts or novice adventurers, students hoping to try something new need look no further than The University of Alabama’s Outdoor Recreation Program.

Outdoor Rec, a division of the University’s recreation program, aims to provide various opportunities to experience an alternative healthy lifestyle choice to the UA community, according to its website.

Outdoor Rec offers numerous weekend trips throughout the fall semester for students to try. The program also takes football into consideration and tries to ensure that students can get involved without interfering with gamedays.

This semester, Outdoor Rec will offer an extended canoe trip during Fall Break consisting of a three-day, two-night excursion that will take students on the Bartram Canoe Trail in the Mobile delta. In December, there will be a bouldering trip to Hueco Tanks in El Paso, Texas.

Becca Proctor, a senior in New College and an Outdoor Rec trip leader and support staff, said students should take advantage of the different and affordable trips led by experienced Outdoor Rec staff throughout the year.

“I think it’s important for students to take advantage of Outdoor Rec because it’s a great way to get outdoors,” Proctor said. “If you’ve never been backpacking, climbing or kayaking, this is an excellent place to start because we provide all the equipment and experienced leaders. It’s not easy or cheap for college students to get out on their own and explore all of the different activities we offer.”

Proctor also said the trips include equipment and transportation, and for those wanting to explore on their own, Outdoor Rec has everything from boats to tents available for rent.

Justin Vaught, a junior and a bicycle mechanic for Outdoor Rec, said there are opportunities to experience different and exciting parts of the Southeast that are often unknown by many. Vaught also said the expertise and resources provided by Outdoor Rec are the perfect way for students to take advantage of these opportunities.

“We love to help people enjoy the parts of Tuscaloosa that frequently get overlooked by college students who may not have the resources or equipment to explore them on their own,” Vaught said. “UA students can have an incredible experience through Outdoor Rec by taking advantage of our rental equipment and knowledge of the area’s outdoor opportunities.”

The program strives to offer different ways for students to engage in healthier lifestyles and meet new people. Whether climbing on the indoor rock wall in the Rec Center or hiking in Oak Mountain State Park, the Outdoor Rec Program keeps students moving, all while learning about the outdoors from people who love it.

“Our facilities on campus can be a huge asset for students — whether they’re looking to improve their health, build skills in rock climbing, backpacking, or cycling, or get connected with other people who share their love of the outdoors,” Vaught said.

For more information on trips and involvement, visit uarec.ua.edu.

Outdoor Rec Trip Schedule

Aug. 31-Sept.3

Nantahala Kayaking, Members $100/Non-members $120

Sept. 9

Caving at Anvil Cave, $30/$40

Sept. 16

Climbing clinic at Palisades Park, $30,/$40

Sept. 21-23

Sipsey Wilderness Backpacking, $40/$50

Oct. 4-6

Canoe the Bartram Canoe Trail, $60/$75

Oct. 13

Road bike the Chief Ladiga Trail, $30/$40

Oct. 21

Climbing trip to Sandrock, $20/$30

Oct. 28

Oak Mountain State Park Day Hike, $20/$25

Nov. 4

Walls of Jericho Day Hike, $30/$40

Nov. 10-11

Bouldering in Rock Town, Ga., $45/$55

Nov. 18

29er Mountain biking at Oak Mountain State Park, $30/$40

Dec. 16-22

Bouldering at Hueco Tanks in El Paso, Texas, $250/$300