Announcements from 3/24/2010

Sorority to hold healthy relationship discussion

The UA chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. will sponsor a program about healthy relationships on Wednesday. Titled “Runaway Love,” the program will begin at 6:30 p.m. in the Ridgecrest South Atrium. Several interactive activities and a presentation from guest speakers Daniel and Dee Henley will highlight important components of a working relationship. A few of these components that will be highlighted include communication, respect and consideration. Runaway Love is open to all students.

New global studies certificate offered to students

Capstone International Academic Programs is now accepting applications for The Global Studies Certificate Program, an undergraduate certificate program requiring only 15 credit hours to complete. Beginning with CIP 200, Introduction to Global Studies, undergraduates will be able to achieve a greater global perspective and awareness through a variety of international studies courses.

The Global Studies Certificate is offered through:

-45 eligible courses

-16 different emphasis area courses

-Variety of 300 level language courses

-Overseas courses (summer, interim, and exchange)

For more information about this program or to apply, visit international.ua.edu/programs/newsite.

Deadline close for PRSSA executive board member applications

Public Relations Student Society of America is accepting applications for executive board members until March 31. Applications can be downloaded from the Web site uaprssa.ua.edu or can be picked up in the PRSSA box in Phifer 412. Officer positions and descriptions are also available on the uaprssa.ua.edu site.

For more information contact PRSSA at [email protected].

SGA Hosts Safety Awareness Day

SGA is hosting Safety Awareness Day on March 24 in hopes of increasing safety awareness and education among students and faculty at the University of Alabama. The event, taking place from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on the promenade, will showcase various aspects on campus safety.

The UAPD and Tuscaloosa Fire Department will be on site to provide safety information and materials. A fire truck will be on display in the promenade. The university’s environmental health and safety department, Women’s Resource Center, and the RHA will be on site as well to pass out materials and talk with students.

Student groups to host golf tournament for RISE

After raising nearly $6,000 last year, the Student Alumni Association and the UA chapter of Alpha Tau Omega fraternity are hosting the annual RISE & SHINE Golf Tournament.

The RISE & SHINE Golf Tournament is a charity tournament that benefits the UA RISE School. Also, a portion of the proceeds help fund two $500 Student leadership scholarships given out by the SAA each year.

This year’s RISE & SHINE Golf Tournament will be held April 26 at Bent Brook Golf Course in Birmingham. The entry fee is $125 per person or $500 per team. The fee for UA students is $100 per person. The tournament style is 4-man scramble. Registration and lunch will begin at 11 a.m., and a shotgun start will begin the tournament at 1 p.m. You can register as a team, or you can register as a single player and you will be placed on a team. To register and pay online, please visit http://saa.ua.edu/golftournament.html. The player registration deadline is April 4.