Tuscaloosa coffee shops every student should know

Open+late+at+night%2C+Strange+Brew+is+the+newest+coffee+shop+on+the+Strip.+
CW / Lennox Krauter
Open late at night, Strange Brew is the newest coffee shop on the Strip.

With the long days and late nights that inevitably come as part of college, coffee becomes the lifeblood of almost every student at some point. These shops offering locally brewed coffee in Tuscaloosa will help students find their fix. 

Heritage House Coffee and Tea 

With three locations around Tuscaloosa, Heritage House is one of the longest-running coffee establishments in the city. It first opened its doors in 1993, offering a wide range of coffee roasts from around the world, along with an extensive menu of breakfast and lunch items. Among the most raved-about items are the scones, which are baked in-house daily, and the Heritage House Special, a coffee-based beverage featuring caramel, white chocolate and dark chocolate. 

Monarch Espresso Bar 

Founded by two University of Alabama graduates, Monarch Espresso Bar is renowned for its dedication to high-quality craft coffee. A notable aspect of Monarch is its Coffee Club, a monthly membership program offering complimentary drip coffee on Mondays and a specialty drink on Tuesdays. Regular patrons often praise Monarch’s hot latte, claiming the baristas have crafted some of the finest latte art in Tuscaloosa. 

Strange Brew Coffeehouse 

Originally from Starkville, Mississippi, Strange Brew Coffeehouse opened its Tuscaloosa location in January 2023. It has quickly become a popular study spot among students because of its proximity to campus and eclectic atmosphere. Among Tuscaloosa residents, a coveted beverage of choice is The Marilyn, also known as the Salted Blondie. With caramel, white chocolate and a hint of sea salt, both casual sippers and coffee snobs alike are sure to enjoy this drink. 

Turbo Coffee 

Though Turbo’s flagship store is in Florence, Alabama, it has established several locations statewide, as well as a brand-new location in Seagrove, Florida. Turbo is committed to healthy living and offers cold-pressed juices, acai bowls and superfood smoothies in addition to its coffee menu. Visitors highly recommend the Honey Nut Latte, Turbo’s signature beverage that features espresso, honey and oat milk.