Alabama athletes punch their tickets to the Olympics

Luisa+Blanco+earns+a+perfect+10+during+a+home+meet+on+March+8%2C+2024.+
CW / Caroline Simmons
Luisa Blanco earns a perfect 10 during a home meet on March 8, 2024.

Editor’s note: The photo on this story was updated May 30 to include an athlete mentioned in this story. The story was updated May 31 to correct an error. Eight athletes, not five, from the swim and dive team had qualified for the Olympic Trials as of Thursday, May 30, with more likely to come. This story will be updated further as more information becomes available.

Many Alabama athletes may soon be headed to showcase their talents to the world at the 2024 Olympic Games in Paris, which begin July 26.

Gymnast Luisa Blanco, after completing her fifth year competing for the Crimson Tide, has already sealed her spot in the Olympics. Track and field athletes Tarsis Orogot and Samuel Ogazi will also compete in the Games. 

As of Thursday, the Alabama swim and dive team had eight athletes that had qualified for the Olympic Trials, with more likely to come. The U.S. Olympic Team Swimming Trials will be held June 15-23 in Indianapolis, Indiana. At those trials, the athletes will swim for a spot on the national team. 

Track & Field

Tarsis Orogot

After capturing his third-consecutive SEC gold medal, the junior sprinter was named Men’s National Athlete of the Week by the United States Track and Field and Cross Country Coaches Association. 

Orogot will represent Uganda in the men’s 200 meters. 

Samuel Ogazi

Ogazi has been named SEC Men’s Freshman of the Week twice this season. At the 2024 Outdoor SEC Championships, Ogazi broke the program record in the men’s 400 meters by finishing in 44.58 seconds. This is the second-best time in the NCAA this season. 

The freshman is competing with the Nigerian mixed 4×400 relay team, and he will also participate in the men’s 400 meters. 

Gymnastics

Luisa Blanco

In October, Blanco punched her ticket to the Paris 2024 Olympics as a part of Team Colombia. 

Blanco earned her Olympics berth after competing in the Pan American Games, where she was the highest-scoring eligible athlete in the all-around qualification with a score of 50.099. 

Even after her spot was secured, she couldn’t take all the credit. 

“It takes a village to do something this amazing, and I just cannot thank my teammates, coaches and support system enough for their endless support toward my goals and for being such an influential part of my journey,” Blanco said. 

Blanco will be competing in the artistic gymnastics category from July 27-Aug. 1 and Aug. 3-5. 

Swimming & Diving 

The Olympic Trials Cuts were hosted in the beginning of May. Based on an athlete’s times, they can either move on to the Olympic trials or get “cut” from the race to compete for Team USA. As of Thursday, eight athletes got their ticket to advance to the U.S. Olympic Team Swimming Trials in Indianapolis. From there, the composition of Team USA will be decided. 

Liberty Williams

Williams, a senior, competed in the 1500m Freestyle. At the Trials Cut, Williams swam a time of 16:42.82. Her time was good enough to help her advance to the Trials in June. 

Tommy Hagar

Hagar, a freshman, has secured three Trial runs after his times at the Olympic Trials Cut. Hagar competed in the 200m individual medley and advanced with a time of 2:03.09. Along with the 200m individual medley, Hagar advanced in the 100m backstroke with a time of 55.04. His third cut came from the 400m medley after securing a time of 4:22.29.  

Cadence Vincent 

Vincent, a freshman, secured an Olympic Trial run in the 100m freestyle. She swam a time of 55.68. 

In the fall, Vincent landed another cut time in the 50m freestyle at the Tennessee Invite, swimming a time of 25.34. 

Trey Sheils

After swimming in the 100m breaststroke, Sheils, a senior, landed a shot in the Olympic Trials. His time in the Trials Cuts was 1:02.01. 

Kailyn Winter

Winter, a junior, landed a spot at the Olympic Trials after swimming in the 100m butterfly. She swam a time of 59.96. 

For most sports, Team USA will not be decided or announced until July. As those teams are announced, fans are sure to find more Alabama athletes.

More information regarding athletes who qualified for the swimming Trials became available following the original publish date of this article.

Rhyan White

At the U.S. Olympic Trials, alum Rhyan White made it to the finals for both the women’s 100m and 200m backstrokes but did not find an Olympic berth.

Tommy Hagar

Freshman Tommy Hagar had a massive showing at the Trials but didn’t make the cut for Team USA. He made it to the 200m men’s backstroke semifinals with a record time of 1:57.8 after shaving off three and a half seconds to finish fourth in the preliminaries. In the semifinals, Hagar went 1:58.34 and placed tenth. He later competed in the men’s 200m individual medley and broke another school record after posting a time of 2:01.78.

Other Crimson Tide swim and dive athletes who qualified for international and US trials include the following:

Australia: Charlie Hawke, junior; Georgie Roper, incoming freshman

Brazil: Bernardo Bondra de Almeida, junior; Kaique Alves, junior; Leonardo Alcantara, freshman

Bulgaria: Diana Petkova, senior

Canada: Avery Wiseman, junior; Colin Cosgrove, freshman; Victoria Raymond, transfer; Emma Sundermeyer, incoming freshman

Croatia: Toni Dragoja, transfer

Netherlands: Tim Korstanje, sophomore

South Africa: Michael Deans, senior

Trinidad: Zarek Wilson, freshman

United States: Gaby Van Brunt, freshman; Kailyn Winter, junior; Trey Sheils, senior; Brendan Conners, freshman; Ella Menear, freshman; Liberty Williams, senior; Cadence Vincent, freshman; Laurel Blase, freshman; Drayden Bell, sophomore; Lance Johnson, transfer