Freshman earns scholarship sponsored by Elevator Conference

The Elevator Conference of New York recently awarded Charlie Faruolo, a freshman majoring in communications and economics, a scholarship in honor of his father, Carl, and his dedicated and passionate work in the elevator industry.

Carl Faruolo works for a company called Magnetek Inc., the only company in the world that makes drives exclusively for elevator hoist motors. He has been in the elevator industry for more than 10 years and is now a Qualified Elevator Inspector.

Carl Faruolo was also recently named the chairman of the Membership and Development Committee for the National Association of Elevator Contractors.

“Carl is an industry expert and a valued contributor here at Magnetek,” said Brad Taylor, vice president of Energy Systems at Magnetek. “I am happy his efforts are being recognized in the elevator community.”

Charlie Faruolo said he has grown up being aware of elevators because of his father.

“My dad says lots of folks never think about elevators or all the work behind the scenes that goes into making them reliable and safe,” Faruolo said. “He is always saying that elevators are everywhere.”

Carl Faruolo’s job at Magnetek takes him all over North America and inside many of the most famous buildings.

“Sometimes we will be watching a movie and there’s a scene with a city skyline,” Charlie Faruolo said. “And [my father] knows all the names of the biggest buildings and what kind of elevators are in them.”

Faruolo has helped his father perform elevator and safety checks at his younger brother’s elementary school and attended ECNY family picnics his entire life. These safety presentations teach children small rules to follow when using elevators, escalators and moving walkways.

For instance, it teaches students to be aware, watch their step and not play around on these devices. Faruolo said these presentations are for kids but can really help anyone.

Faruolo said he has thought of starting an elevator awareness group on campus where they would visit local elementary schools and do elevator safety training with students.

Each year ECNY awards four scholarships to the children of its members. The recipients must have a parent who is a contributing member, be a high school graduate and currently attend a four-year institution. Faruolo was awarded one of the $2,500 scholarships from ECNY in recognition of his overall accomplishments and character and his father’s contributions to the elevator industry.

Faruolo said, for now, he does not plan on going into the elevator industry after he graduates from UA. However, he said it would make his dad really happy.