Media center offers place to record

Media center offers place to record
Bryce Denton

UA students don’t have to travel to Los Angeles or New York City to lay down tracks in a recording studio.

Students can access a recording studio in the Sanford Media Center, located on the second floor of Gorgas Library.

“I usually study in Gorgas, and one night, I heard some guy yelling really vulgar lyrics,” Annie Weaver, a senior studying interior design, recalled. “I assumed he was just some crazy guy singing, but I asked the librarian, and she told me there was a recording studio in the library, which I found to be just really ironic.”

The studio, encased with a somewhat soundproof foam material, allows students to record music with Garageband, an Apple software system, according to Albert Jones, a senior who works as a student assistant in Sanford Media Center.

Rod Brown, a freshman and aspiring recorder, and Kenny Shuler, a freshman and aspiring producer, said they began using the studio last semester and have recorded in it at least three times since.

“This is the first studio I’ve ever recorded in,” Brown said. “I use it just for hobby purposes. I’ve actually got a song on YouTube called ‘My movie old feelings die hard’ that I wrote myself and recorded here.”

Brown, who says he has been writing poetry since he was seven years old, and Shuler work together as a sort of team, with Shuler in charge of the technical audio settings and Brown in charge of the lyrics and vocals.

“I aspire to be on music videos, dancing in the background,” Shuler said.

“P. Diddy-ish,” Brown said.

To use the studio, students are required to read the Sanford Media Center policies and sign a patron agreement form before making advance reservations by calling the help desk at 205-348-4651. One-on-one training sessions are also available upon request.