Students lobby for education funding

Students lobby for education funding

bama universities came together in Montgomery on Thursday, March 1, for the Higher Education Day. A day devoted to advocating greater funding for Alabama public and private institutions of higher learning, Higher Education Day has become the largest annual rally held at the state capital.

SGA vice president for External Affairs Alan Rose and many other SGA representatives served as chaperones for the trip, ensuring the event served as an effective lobbying effort as well as a worthwhile learning experience for the students involved.

Until 1995, the distribution of funding for education was traditionally split into thirds. Two-thirds of the budget would go to K12 schools, and one-third of the budget would go towards funding all education programs beyond the high school level.

Since then, funding for higher education has shrunk from approximately 33 percent to around 28 percent. This reduction in funding has forced major tuition increases and a higher focus on research as opposed to instruction by institutions of higher learning.

Higher Education Day was established to counter this slow reduction in funding and has since gained considerable attention by institutions of higher learning as well as lawmakers.

The event kicked off with an eight-block march to the Alabama State House. Local storeowners and camera crews came out to witness the parade of students carrying signs and banners that called for an increase in funding for universities across the state.

Upon reaching the capital building, students gathered for a rally on the steps of the Alabama State House where music from University of West Alabama and Alabama State University band members shook the sidewalks.

Director of Higher Education Gordon Stone led the assembled crowd in chants of “Two-thirds, one-third” and repeatedly thanked all those assembled for making the trip to show Alabama lawmakers just how widespread the call for increased funding has become.

Gov. Robert Bentley spoke during the rally, urging students to speak with their representatives to ensure that their voices are heard.

“There’s no doubt that higher education is vital to our state,” Bentley said. “We need greater funding for the universities.”

Students and legislators were given a free barbecue lunch on the lawn in front of the capitol building, where representatives met individually to speak with students who had made the trip to Montgomery. After lunch, University of Alabama students were taken inside the State House, where representatives from Tuscaloosa and the University offered insight on the situation in Montgomery.

“The things we do down here directly affect you,” District 7 Representative Chris England informed the assembled students. England and his fellow Tuscaloosa representatives urged students to get involved in the political process and to make sure lawmakers are no longer able to cut higher education as they have in the past.

To get involved, students should contact their local representatives and remind them of the importance of higher education.

“The most effective elected official is the one that hears from and listens to the people back home,” Lt. Gov. Kay Ivey said.