??? hosts forum on sexual health

??? hosts forum on sexual health

The Theta Sigma chapter of the Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority hosted their third forum of this semester, Better With the Lights On: Sex and Sexual Health, last night.

Jessica Vickery, assistant director for the Student Health Center, said it is imperative that college-aged students understand that sexual health be seen as intertwined with one’s physical, mental and emotional health, and that sexual health should be treated as just as important as other areas of health.

The forum encouraged UA students to engage in productive and safe sexual habits. Among the topics addressed by Tuesday night’s discourse on safer sex were sexual consent, how to prevent and treat sexually transmitted infections and how to properly use contraceptives.

Upon entering room 30 of ten Hoor Hall, students were greeted by AKA sorority members who handed them cups of water with symbols representing various levels of sexual activity.

Students were encouraged to have metaphorical sexual encounters using their respective cups of water with the other forum attendees corresponding to the symbols on their cups.

Those with “A’s” on their cups were abstinent and were instructed not to touch other student’s cups. Students with “M” cups represented monogamous sexual relationships and exchanged their water with only one other student. Students with cups marked “C”, which represent condoms, had symbolic protected sex by toasting with other cups, whereas students who had cups with smiley faces were told to exchange water with other students with corresponding cups indiscriminately.

This icebreaker opened the door for a guided discussion on the implications of sexual activity led by Vickery, who with several games that fostered interaction, illuminated many of the unknown, confusing and seldom-discussed elements of sexual life.

Theta Sigma thought the topic was relevant to students and hoped to help students handle the many sexual topics that confront them.

“By using interactive games and lively discussion we can help get this important message out there,” said Paige Adaire, a sophomore majoring in management information systems.

“This forum helped to demystify the many problematic notions held by our classmates,” said Eryka Wade, a junior majoring in English and African American studies.

The attendants of the forum thought the forum was both fun and informative, but should have had more male representation.

“I learned a lot. I definitely did not know there were ten steps to properly putting on a condom,” said Cameron McAdams, a senior majoring in mechanical engineering.

Both Theta Sigma and the Student Health Center are committed to providing more events like this one. Theta Sigma asked students to be on the lookout for more forums and encouraged students to attend “Ask the Sex-perts,” an event sponsored by the Student Health Center that will be held April 21 at the Ferguson Center.