Women’s Golf Goes Low at Historic Medinah, Finishes Eighth

Nicholas Pursley, Contributing Writer

Despite coming out of the gate red-hot, Alabama women’s golf fell off the pace in the final round to finish eighth in the Illini Women’s Golf Invitational. 

The two-day tournament was played at Medinah Country Club in Medinah, Illinois — the host of five major championships and the iconic 2012 Ryder Cup. 

While playing at such a historic venue might intimidate some, Alabama showed no fear. 

The Crimson Tide couldn’t have asked for a better start. A 15-under par opening round, featuring 23 birdies and an eagle, gave Alabama an early lead. 

Monday’s first 18 holes marked the fifth lowest score relative to par in program history. 

A historic opening round, on such historic ground. 

And although the tournament was held on the second course — while the majors and Ryder Cup were held on the third — Alabama’s initial onslaught was certainly major-worthy. 

But the Crimson Tide was unable to hold that pace, shooting just six-under par in the final 36-holes. 

“It is a mixed bag kind of feeling,” head coach Mic Potter said. “We had a terrific start and held a lead midway through the second round. We were as low as 15-under and if you told me coming in that we would finish at 21-under par, I would be ecstatic. But then we had the lead, and we couldn’t get it done today.” 

Potter chalked it up to a learning experience for his young group. 

“As long as we come away from a tournament having gotten the message — today it was executing better and do the little things we have to in order to compete against elite competition — then it will all be worth it,” Potter said. 

Freshman Kynadie Adams and senior Sarah Edwards both finished inside the top-10 for the week as individuals. 

Adams led the team, firing three consecutive under-par rounds (68-69-68) to finish T4.  

Edwards’ opening 36 holes (66-67) marked the second-lowest two round total in program history. She held the clubhouse lead headed into Tuesday’s final round before firing a one-over 73 to close out her week. She led the field in birdies over the 54-hole tournament. 

Junior Benedetta Moresco shot rounds of 69-73-71 to finish the week T26 (-3). 

Sophomore Isabella van der Biest and freshman Taylor Kehoe finished in 58th and 72nd respectively for the Crimson Tide. 

Even though they couldn’t get it done this week, Potter is excited about the future of this team. 

“I love this team,” Potter said. “I think we have a great group of student-athletes who are willing to give the type of effort that is needed to succeed.” 

Alabama women’s golf will be in action again Oct. 17-18 in West Point, Mississippi, for The Ally tournament. 

Questions or comments? Email Austin Hannon (Sports Editor) at [email protected]