Tuscaloosa staple begins reconstruction process

Mitchell O. Hughes

The Tuscaloosa Krispy Kreme is returning to its previous location on McFarland Boulevard after being destroyed in the April 27, 2011 tornado.

Evan Smith, the owner of the Tuscaloosa Krispy Kreme, has secured a permit to clear the lot, build the foundation and lay the slab for the new store. Smith said he hopes to be open by June.

Smith said the store would be a mix of classic Krispy Kreme features that visitors have come to know and love, along with new features, which include a doughnut case where customers can watch the doughnuts bake, see them iced and see employees add sprinkles. It will also have a new state-of-the-art digital order board, as well as an espresso machine and iced tea.

“We’re looking to expand our beverage line,” Smith said.

Krispy Kreme has a long and storied history of making doughnuts in Tuscaloosa. The first Krispy Kreme in Tuscaloosa was built in 1960 on Hackberry Lane by Smith’s grandparents, T.W. and Francis Smith. It has been in the family for three generations and is still family-operated to this day. Smith said he has grown up in the business.

“It’s my whole life,” he said. “I’ve never had another job. I’ve been a little lost the past 10 months, not going to the doughnut shop every day.”

Prior to the tornado, the Tuscaloosa store made and sold between 1,700 and 2,000 doughnuts a day, Smith said.

Many students have said they are excited for the return of the store.

“That’s the best news,” said Damien Christian, a sophomore majoring in political science.

Quinn Roe, a junior majoring in marketing and accounting, summed up the feelings of many students.

“Krispy Kreme rates right up there with City Café as a great way to end an all-nighter,” Roe said. “It’s a great way to end a night with friends at 2:00 in the morning.”

The re-opening means a great deal to the people of Tuscaloosa as well. The locations Facebook page is filled with posts begging them to return soon. Smith has been overwhelmed by the support and wants to thank all the fans.

“You just hear so many stories. It let’s you know it’s bigger than just Krispy Kreme,” he said. “I want to thank everybody for their response. Without them, people wouldn’t even know we were closed. It makes me feel special.”

When that familiar sign that reads “Hot Now” is finally lit up again, it will be about more than the doughnuts inside. It will be about the spirit of Tuscaloosa. It will be about recovery. It will be a beacon of hope.

“You could go to any other Taco Casa in town. You could get barbecue anywhere, but there’s only one place to get doughnuts,” Smith said.