Volunteering: A new way to spend your Sunday

In just five gatherings, the Student Government Association’s Sunday Service Initiative has cleared debris from eight lots in the Tuscaloosa area and has logged more than 4,000 volunteer hours in an effort to help the community recover from the April 27 tornado.

When the Sunday Service Initiative first began, nearly 100 students participated in the event. Since then, that number has risen to approximately 500 students who have become registered volunteers.

According to Matt Calderone, chairman of Sunday Service, Sunday is an ideal day to volunteer.

“Between class, extracurricular activities and work, students find it hard to find time to serve on most week days. Sunday is an ideal and convenient day for students to help their community,” Calderone said.

Isaiah Moore, a committee member of the initiative who has participated in three of the five cleanups, said being involved with the program has been great.

“We do everything from mowing lawns to tearing down whatever is left of building foundations so we can get the sites back down to plain earth so the rebuilding process can begin,” Moore said.

In addition to helping with the cleanup effort, another goal for the program is to help unite the campus.

“It makes me proud to see such a diverse demographic of students coming out to help,” Moore said. “It’s great to see everyone working together.”

There has been nothing but positive feedback from students about the SGA Sunday Service Initiative, Calderone said.

“The feedback has been so positive, and the turnout has been so great, that SGA has decided to extend this initiative throughout the spring semester,” he said.

Sunday Service will resume this Sunday from noon to 4 p.m. To be involved, simply show up at the Tuscaloosa Area Volunteer Reception Center at 2512 University Blvd. East and sign up to join a group.

The SGA is encouraging all students to come out and volunteer.

The SGA Sunday Service Committee also plans to reach out into the city, as well as to Stillman College and Shelton State, with the hope of joining forces in the effort to help the community.

There will also be an event held next month that will be aimed at helping to unify UA’s campus.

“In order to further promote inclusion on our campus, the SGA Sunday Service Initiative Committee will be sponsoring a Sunday Service Day dedicated to promoting diversity and inclusivity,” Calderone said.

This event, “commUNITY Day,” will be held on Sunday, Feb. 5, during regular Sunday Service hours.

For additional information, contact Matt Calderone at [email protected].